Craigslist "Overpayment" Scam

I only ever pass the goods for my internet sales two days after the transaction has cleared Pay Pal & I've taken it out the account , then put the funds into a separate unconnected with pay pal holding bank account.

Even then I've had a couple of numpties who have tried to say the goods were faulty a day or so after they have signed for them
The way I put an end to that was to mark all goods with a UV marking pen with a simple cartoon & do my initials & postal code plus the date & then photo them under UV light . The couple of chancer's who have tried to present their similar faulty goods back to me were sorted out by PayPal & eBay once I showed the pictures with the UV markings & in my defence .
Sometimes you might also need to engrave you security details on the inside of of several parts of an assembly & photo them before parting with them as to be signed for postal packages . It has been known for people to change over internal parts to repair their equipment & then rebuild your equipment with their faulty bits & try & send it back to you saying it never worked . Demanding their money back plus all postal charges .

There was a scam a while ago where a seller gained official proof of posting for sending an empty box to you that you needed to sign for . They then claimed that you were trying to cheat them saying you wanted a refund when you wouldn't send them the goods ( they'd never sent ) back .

Unfortunately at the time Pay Pal & eBay usually took the side of the supposedly honest seller , till folks started taking photos of the packages they had signed for whilst still fully wrapped & then photos of the stages of unwrapping whilst the delivery guy was present .
Most delivery services want you to sign for the packet arriving in good order .. So legally you are allowed to unpack it in front of the delivery guy to ensure it is in good order .

These scams seem so obvious to most people but if these dirtbags send out 100,000 emails and find one sucker they're happy. I advertised a room for rent a few years ago and more than half the respondents were female 25 year old fun loving students in a foreign country looking to move here. They all were going to send a check for too much money so I could pay the movers. I would give them the address of the restaurant in town so they could send the check. I's fun to mess with these people.

Should have used the address for the police department. :sherlock:

We had the PayPal attempt yesterday.

The first kicker is they seem to respond quickly after posting and ask If still available.

We never post phone number and suggest using email and this person had a profile name that looked common enough and had decent language skills...we are ca raised so ours not the best...;-)

Stated we landed in spam filter so please use regular email...has happened before but hairs on neck tingling.

This guy acting normal interest level so no alarm.

Asks if we have PayPal and explains that easy to create and movers will pick up so on so fourth so alarm goes off.

Simple enough...stated cash only and since this was for a stair lift they were welcome to inspect and ride it then before any action to remove cash would need to be in our hands then we would help load.

No email since...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I always get suspicious when they say they will send something FedEx. (Private delivery service.) Because with a scam they avoid wire fraud charges from using US mail if caught.

Back