Craftsman power hacksaw question

I rebuilt one of those (with the Covel "Excel" badge on it) this past summer. Nice little saw.
The lift / ratchet mechanism on mine was ok, but the vise was another story altogether. At any rate, here is the drawing you're referring to. It might be worth the while to see what it would cost to have one of these made, then see about the cost to have 10 of them made and have a group buy to bring the costs down. The first one will be very expensive. The tenth one, not so much.
Over on the owwm.org site, members will gauge interest in group buys for fabricating commonly needed parts. This is certainly one of those.
pauhBlueprint for feed ratchet 053-047.jpgratchet block 2.jpgratchet block.jpg

I got in touch with a guy I know and his response was "how much is it worth to you?" I told him I have no idea what it would take to make something like that and asked him for a ballpark range and haven't heard back. I have another guy I can ask but he wants to see the part, so I will have to go to my storage unit, remove it and take it from there. If I had enough interest in the part, even people wishing to have a spare I could get a better idea of pricing but a onesy-twosey is not going to be a good representation.
Has anyone used one of these in their shop? How well do they work out? I have a harbor freight band saw, but I really dig having and using an old schooler when given the chance. If they are not up to par, I may restore and sell it. Just curious from anyone out there who may have used one of these.

I got in touch with a guy I know and his response was "how much is it worth to you?" I told him I have no idea what it would take to make something like that and asked him for a ballpark range and haven't heard back. I have another guy I can ask but he wants to see the part, so I will have to go to my storage unit, remove it and take it from there. If I had enough interest in the part, even people wishing to have a spare I could get a better idea of pricing but a onesy-twosey is not going to be a good representation.
Has anyone used one of these in their shop? How well do they work out? I have a harbor freight band saw, but I really dig having and using an old schooler when given the chance. If they are not up to par, I may restore and sell it. Just curious from anyone out there who may have used one of these.
I like mine. It takes a little longer to cut than a band saw, but it's less likely to cut off-true. Metal bandsaws can cut off line if they're not tuned right.
Within its capacity, i think it's a great saw. Set up the cut, hit the switch, and let it run while you're free to do something else in the shop. I wouldn't just walk away from any running machine, but this runs on its own, and mine shuts itself off when it's finished with the cut. It cuts straight, and blades seem to last quite a long time. If speed is a major concern, such as in a production shop, you will probably prefer the band saw. Not that this is slow, it's just not as fast as a band saw.

I also like how small it is. I have a basement shop, and space is a premium. This rolls right under the bench when not in use.

I like mine. It takes a little longer to cut than a band saw, but it's less likely to cut off-true. Metal bandsaws can cut off line if they're not tuned right.
Within its capacity, i think it's a great saw. Set up the cut, hit the switch, and let it run while you're free to do something else in the shop. I wouldn't just walk away from any running machine, but this runs on its own, and mine shuts itself off when it's finished with the cut. It cuts straight, and blades seem to last quite a long time. If speed is a major concern, such as in a production shop, you will probably prefer the band saw. Not that this is slow, it's just not as fast as a band saw.

I also like how small it is. I have a basement shop, and space is a premium. This rolls right under the bench when not in use.
Mine is equipped with auto shut off set up just like my harbor freight band saw too, so I really like that about it. From what I can tell it is 100% complete, just need that damn ratchet block

Back