Craftsman/Atlas Traverse Gear Assembly

Moodyj2000

Registered
Registered
Well I am in the middle of renovating my 101.07403 and noticed that one of three attachment points of my travers gear assembly 10F-11 is broken. Replacement on ebay is crazy and Clausing has them for $87 but this to me looks like a weak link. I am pondering machining my own out of either steel or aluminum. Anybody have any input if aluminum 6061 would be strong enough? Also, I am going to mock up one in Delrin just to see if it works. I don't really see any clearance issues so I was thinking about making it as beefy as I can. The original design just seems like they were trying to make it light and cheep.

Well I am in the middle of renovating my 101.07403 and noticed that one of three attachment points of my travers gear assembly 10F-11 is broken. Replacement on ebay is crazy and Clausing has them for $87 but this to me looks like a weak link. I am pondering machining my own out of either steel or aluminum. Anybody have any input if aluminum 6061 would be strong enough? Also, I am going to mock up one in Delrin just to see if it works. I don't really see any clearance issues so I was thinking about making it as beefy as I can. The original design just seems like they were trying to make it light and cheep.

I don't disagree but the Zamak originals lasted for decades before abuse broke them.
Most replacements I have seen were milled from aluminum, which is already an upgrade. That's probably what I'd use.
I have also seen a couple built up from flat plate steel or aluminum and welded together.

As AR1911 states most tend to use alum as it is easy to machine and much stronger than the original.

Back