Craftsman/Atlas 6", what have I gotten my self into?

Alright, I ordered a bushing but I've also ordered some material that probably a bit more appropriate for my machine.

I think before I take anything apart I'll give the 6061 and the 12L14 a go with and with out the tail stock supporting the work. If I can get decent results I'll probably just leave it as is and make some chips.

If it still leaves a bad finish I'll install the split bushing and go from there.

If all that fails...

https://maine.craigslist.org/bar/d/10-machine-lathe-atlas/6324620633.html

(I'm only somewhat joking...no idea on it's condition but this is the size machine I was looking for).

K

That does look like a good deal if it is in good shape. He has 14 day return if it turned out to be out of spec. If memory serves me that thrust bearing alone is around $75, only available from Clausing.

Looks like we are all looking at the same stuff . My spindle is not grate shape , but not bad enough to replace . A new bushing is all I really need , I'll be doing that this winter . I'm really interested to see how yours turns out K .

Part of me says I just need to buy the darn thing and be done with it but I want to see how bad mine is first. I did get some 12L15 and 6061, I may make a few passes on those for the fun of it too.

I'm in pretty deep as is, I kind of sealed the deal with the purchase of the start kit from LMS.

K

Alright, only had an hour or so to play so I cut a 3" chunk of 6061 and 12L14. All these cuts were made at the same speed and feed rate (.0024").

IMG_1002.JPG

This is a couple of cuts with out tailstock support in 6061. It likes Aluminum but I guess that's no surprise. The finish is OK, even acceptable by my unexperienced standards.

IMG_1003.JPG

There's two things going on in this picture. First this is a cut with the tailstock supporting the piece, it's better then without. The other thing I'm showing is the horizontal deflection, that's nearly .005" at about 2 1/2" from the chuck with just my thumb creating the pressure. I have no idea what should be expected on these machines but that's what my machine is doing.

IMG_1004.JPG

This is showing the vertical deflection, again about 2 1/2" from the chuck. .009"

Next I chucked up some 12L14, from what I've read this stuff is a dream to machine, not so much for me.

IMG_1005.JPG

Here's a light cut, around .005 with out support. You can head the chatter as it cuts. All I have is YouTube to tell be what I should be hearing but this is rough and the chips are very small. In aluminum I was getting more consistant strings of chips.

IMG_1006.JPG

Here's the same cut but with support, better but not great. Still feels like a file when you run your finger nail over it.

IMG_1007.JPG

For what it's worth it faces quite nicely.

I ran out of time to remove the spindle but is it pretty safe to say that most of my problem are probably there?

K

Yes, most likely.

*Gulp*

I pulled the trigger.

If I had to do it all over again I would have waited for a better machine but I guess I'm committed now! :)

K

Reactions: Z2V
The "new" spindle is here. I need to mic it but boy it sure looks good.

I hope to have some time this weekend to tear things apart. I'm sort of wondering if I've done any damage (malformed) my bushing from over tightening. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

K

Oilite bushings are actually pretty springy, a lot more memory than you might imagine. Besides, why go looking for trouble if you don't have to? Hope for the best, and good luck.

-frank

Back