Craftsman/Atlas 6", what have I gotten my self into?

You might want to take a look at Deans website he has about the most thorough run-thru of the bushing replacement on these machines,
scroll to the bottom of the page to the Atlas 618 section.
Your spindle might be more worn than you realized. Or perhaps one of the bushings you got was not correct.
Anyhow, check it out. Don't give up too soon- you're just getting started
www.deansphotographica.com
Mark S.

I used Dean's page to get the thing apart/replace the bushing.

I'm not giving up, just bummed I got a bit of a lemon to start with. It's an old machine and it looks like it was used a fair amount, not just a toy that was used once or twice a year. I think the tough spot I'm in is to make things right I'll have more money then the lathe is worth, I just don't want to dig to big a hole.

K

Well if it's any consolation mine came from cross country all busted up, basically it fell out of the box and hit the pavement at least once.
Lots of repairs needed, including another headstock and leadscrew.
I was thinking maybe slotting the bushing might be a way to go?
Mark

If you were to put a single slit in the bronze bush then it would stay round as you pinch down on it instead of becoming oval- did you save the old
bushings? You could try it on one of them to test the idea
Mark

Question is, how far can the bushing be compressed before there is a real risk of cracking the unslotted or "hinge side" of the headstock casting?

-frank

You are correct Frank, extreme care must be taken not to crack the pinch part. Might even be advisable to heat the area somewhat and tighten progressively over a
period of days or even weeks. (think braces on your teeth) In a case like this it might be best to stop short of perfection; if the error could be reduced by 60-70% I would consider it good enough.
Mark S.

Perhaps a judicious application of solder in a few areas around the outside of the bronze would help reduce the amount of tightening required without
plugging up the porosity of the bushing too much...?
Mark

Hey guys,

Just reading though the ideas. I kept the old bushings so slotting it is an option just to see what happens. I do agree that you would have to be carful with the tension, it would be pretty easy to crack the casting. That being said I do have a decent amount of pressure on there now.

I think you're right that shooting for perfection is not realistic. .006" is to much but I bet .002" would be quite usable.

I think solder would be hard to keep consistent pressure. I would hate to do more damage then good.

Sears still lists the Spindle, $700 bucks and I could be as good as new! :p

K

Did you check Clausing for the spindle? Probably less but still sure to be several hundred.

I started out with the same lathe. great machine. made lots of parts on it. wasn't fast but did the job. I remember on cut I was making in backgear with a hss bit 1/4" deep on 4140 took an hour per pass started the cut went in the house and watched tv while the cut went on. did a great job slow but!! bill

Did you check Clausing for the spindle? Probably less but still sure to be several hundred.

I haven't but I suspect it's still hundreds of dollars like you said. There was a very nice looking one on eBay a month or two ago that I missed out on. It was when I had my lathe apart and I knew my spindle wasn't 100%, I saw it at lunch time and when I got home from work I went to buy it and it was gone. I suspect good ones you have to be quick to acquire.

K

Back