Craftsman/Atlas 6", what have I gotten my self into?

kopeck

Registered
Registered
Good morning,

First off I'm 100% new to machine tools. I play with old farm machinery and often run into NLA parts. I've wanted a lathe for a quite some time and had been keeping an eye open. I've also watched a pile of YouTube videos though the years, Mr. Pete and Keith Rucker have kept me occupied for hours.

Anyway, I picked up a Craftsman 101.07301. It's pretty complete, came with a new motor and drum switch. A 3 jaw Delta chuck and a 4 jaw chuck with no name that seems to be well loved. The gears are in great shape, the spindle has a little play but I'll replace the bushing/bearings. The carriage and compound are in really good shape, no nicks or anything, it does have a broken handle on the cross feed but from what I see that's a really common problem. It also came with a pile of tooling, some of it brand new/never ground and a bench that needs a new top (question about that later).

It's smaller then what I had planned on but the price was right and it was just a few minutes down the road. To me this is a learning tool more then anything, I need to start somewhere and this guy seems like it should fill the roll.

So now the questions:

It was really dirty when I picked it up. I get the impression that who ever had it before me just didn't want to clean it up and that's why it was sold. Not to rusty, just grime and grit.

I've cleaned up the ways pretty well, I soaked them in WD-40, and used a green scotch bright pad to work the grime off then I wiped everything down with lacquer thinner and reoiled. The carriage runs really smooth the first half of the bed but as you get to the tail stock is stiffens up. I know this is a sign of wear. I took my mics and went all over the darn thing. I'm finding almost no wear in the width of the ways but I do see a little less then a half a thousands wear in the height. I guess that's enough feel in that little hand wheel. The ways are also kind of beat up, quite a few nicks and such although they don't seem to catch the carriage. How much is this bed going to drive me crazy in the long run?

The bench it's on is decent other then the top. The PO made it out of bunch of 2x6s and they're all cupped and anything but flat. I have some 3/4 finish plywood at home. If I doubled that up would that make an adequate top?

Anything else I should be looking for? Like I said this will get me started. Sure is a cute little machine, if machines can be cute.

IMG_0947.JPG

Welcome to Hobby Machinist! That lathe will give you lots of parts for projects, learning, and great fun. You seem to be on the correct path. All used lathes have wear, but that does not prohibit them from making excellent parts. Please follow all the safety rules and don't attempt things too extreme for the lathe and your skill level. Machining does not go nearly as well when the machine or the machinist is out of action...

Hi Kopeck, there are shims under the carriage that can be added/removed to adjust but due to the bed wear you may not be able to achieve travel
all the way to the tailstock end without making it too loose at the chuck end.
That's a good little lathe, you'll have fun.
Mark S.

Hi kopeck , if you double up the 3/4 that should be fine . That's what I did , screwed and bonded together and finished the edges with oak . I'm seeing on your lathe that the rear riser has two bolt holes , I guess I'm missing something as the way I understand it the 101.07301 6" has only one mount hole at the rear .
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/
Goodies . http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas-6-inch-lathe-accessories/
By the way us Craftsman/Atlas people have a spot we like to hang out on .
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/atlas-craftsman-aa.86/

Last edited:
Hey Westsailpat,

Are you talking about the legs on the tail stock side? I think you are and you have great eyes to pick that out, I've been looking at these things every evening since I got it and never picked up on that. It is a 101.07301:

IMG_0941.JPG

The other interesting thing is the counter shaft frame is also different then almost every other unit I've seen in pictures. The ones I see are all kind of curved so the motor can sit underneath, this one is straight. The PN on the main frame is L9-20A which is a legit Atlas part but doesn't (from my research) seem to be common.

Thanks for the heads up on the Atlas section, I'm wondering if I should move this over there?

Bob & Mark S.,

Thanks for the info. I did see a shim in the front side of the carriage but none in the back. I think I'll just get it going as is and see how it goes. If I find it's out too much I guess I could always look for another bed OR upgrade. :) I'm getting WAY ahead of my self...

K

Hey KO , the 101 . 07301 is a early model Atlas (40'-56') and is referred to correctly as a 6" as I have to come to find out from this knowledgeable group of people . The newer version is called the 618 . Some of the model changes are the 6" has the tailstock riser with a center located mount hole , the newer 618 has it's (2) mount holes on the side . And that is what is confusing to me . Another difference is the headstock bearings we ,6" owners have bushings where the 618 has Timken bearings . Some say a bushing headstock will give you a better finish . For the spindle (chuck) mount , the 6" has a TPI of 8 and the 618 has a TPI of 10 . There are some other differences but I forget at the moment . The counter shaft is the original , the curved ones came later .
I wouldn't go to the trouble of moving your post , it's all good . But for the future ... Keep us posted , always good to have a new friend .

Just to be clear, this is what your talking about right?

IMG_0947.jpg

When you say tail stock riser I'm thinking of the tail stock it's self. I don't see any extra bolts there. Maybe I'm just blind. :)

K

I'm sure it's mostly wear. Working and cleaning has made things more useable.

I'm hoping to pull the carriage this weekend. I have no doubt it could use a cleaning as well!

K

Just a couple of suggestions, you've probably already done these,
1) turn the chuck jaws around, they're set now for holding on the OD of a larger 3" to 5" part.
2) turn the compound so the handle is on the right, at about 30º instead of 45. We all keep it that way, so if the need comes to cut threads, were already set.
3) you will need a tool holder to hold the cutting tool. It appears that you have a High Speed bit clamped on the rocker, an Armstrong tool holder is needed there. Eventually you will find a better way to hold tools, but for now this will work.

Back