Craftsman 12" lantern post mystery........

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So, my Craftsman 12" X 24" lathe came with piles of tooling and a lantern post. Now, it has an Aloris qctp, but also a lantern post. I have lots of tool holders for a lantern post, so I figured I'd use it when I needed to. Well, it is too big! The base on the post is around 1.375" and the slot in my compound is only 1.018".....go figure? I thought maybe it was just the wrong one for the lathe, but found another identical lathe being parted out and offered to buy the lanter post, guess what, it's the same size as mine and too big!!! Maybe my compound was changed in the past, maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's the Twilight Zone? Any ideas?

Mystery more or less solved.....it turns out that my lantern post is just too big for my compound. The one I was trying to buy turns out to be the right size, so no realy mystery after all. So, anybody need a big lantern post???

Can you turn the plate down in a four jaw chuck to get it to fit or would you lose too much metal ?
I made my own foot for the lamp post on my Atlas using a high tensile stud locked hex head bold through the foot into the post to fit it in place .

Perhaps you could modify the tapered shoulder to be smaller square shouklder to fit in a new foot plate .

Sometimes being able to use a bigger cutting tool in a lamp post is more advantageous than having an all singing all dancing Aloris block .

My first thought was to modify the bigger one, but it would end up being extremely thin on the wall if I did turn it down. The square foot would end up being just a hole with no sides if I turned it to fit. In the end I got one that is the right size for the compound and am satisfied with that outcome. I now have the lantern post and an Aloris qctp, so life is good.

Back