Craftsman 109 Lathe Family Oil Needs

aoresteen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've just discovered the scarcity of SAE 20 non-detergent oil. I am looking for it in quarts/liters not in gallons/4 liter sizes. I do not want to buy a case of 12 quarts, just one, maybe 2 quarts at a time. I've tried the usual suspects with no luck.

I did a search on oil here in the forum but didn't find what I need.

1. Is SAE 20 Hydraulic oil OK to use for the spindle in a 109 lathe?

2. Which way oil should I use for the inverted bed Vees i.e. the ways?

3. Which oil should I use on the threading change gears?

4. Which oil do I use on the lead screw & compound?

My plan is to have a squirt oil can for each grade of oil. I would hope to have two, maybe 3 grades of oil to cover all the 109's needs.

Thanks!

Tony

Way oil - Mobil Vactra No. 2
Spindle oil - Velocite No. 10
Change gears - motorcycle chain lube (won't sling off) - be careful of some firearm solvents that have copper scavengers
and will eat up any brass that happens to be around ... the gears are zinc but I'd still be careful
Lead screw, Cross slide screw, Compound screw - Lubriplate Aero Multi-purpose (white lithium)

I use all of these and am happy with them. The Way oil and Spindle oil are made specifically for that purpose, the others
are just what I use for other stuff and seem to be a good match for those applications.

I don't know what the deal is with SAE 20 ND. For a while you couldn't find it. And then you could and now you can't again. A good substitute is Mobil Heavy Medium Circulating Oil ISO 68. For all gears use a good high temperature rated grease, not oil. Don't use ordinary chassis grease.

Thanks all. Here's what I have bought:

1. For the ways: 1 QT Mobil Vactra No. 2

2. For the spindle: 1 QT Mobile Velocite No. 10

3. For the change gears: 150ml paste Motul MC CARE C5 Motorcycle Chain Lube Paste Tube #106513

4. For the lead screw: Lubriplate L0043-004 130-A Grease 16 oz Tub & 1.75 oz tube

The Mobil oils come in 5 gal pails - to get a quart I bought from a 3rd party that breaks it down into smaller bottles.

Back