Craftsman 109 chuck question

abracadabra

Registered
Registered
Howdy folks---
I've found a Craftsman 109 that I'm contemplating buying locally. The price is good, its in decent shape.

I know a bit about these machines, mostly their reputation, but all in all I know very little about how to make this machine work for me.

It comes with a 4-jaw chuck and drill chuck in the tailstock, but my question is this:

How do I go about mounting a Jacob's chuck in the headstock? Specifically I need something with a small range, 0-1/4", but I can't quite figure how to make it work, what to buy, etc.

The point is I need to factor the cost of this in to what I would pay for the lathe. For me to use it immediately I need a small Jacobs style chuck that I can mount small rods etc in for woodwind repair.

The 4 jaw chuck I know will be handy for turning bigger stuff, looking forward to using that one.

I have a feeling the answer to my question might be easy, but I've dug around a bit, and couldn't find a definitive answer...........................any help would be MUCH appreciated! I"m hoping to go look at this lathe at the end of the week!

thanks,

Mk

I have a Jacobs keyed chuck that came with my Clausing MK2 lathe, its No. 56B, screws on the spindle, made for this operation. I holds from 0 to 17/64ths diameter work. It says on it 1" by 10 P.
Perhaps you can find a similar chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my question is less about which chuck to use, as it seems there are a number which will hold small pieces, but how do I mount/attach the chuck to the headstock? Do need an arbor, adapter, etc?
Mk

I had a 109 lathe years ago. If I remember right both the headstock and tailstock were 0 Morse taper. You would need a 0 Morse to whatever Jacobs taper the chuck used, I believe. Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Morse-Taper-Jacobs-Drill-Chuck/dp/B0007Q74ZG

That adaptor goes from a 0 Morse to a 2 JT (Jacobs taper). Here's a cheap chuck that has a matching 2 JT:

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-561702-TDC-375-Taper-Mount/dp/B0007XXI7M

I'm not really recommending these specific parts, shown just as an example.

Last edited:
For that size and range you might think about a chuck off a dead cordless drill. Most ones I've used are provisioned for 3/8" fine thread, but I scrap the drill so as to keep the chuck and its little stub shaft together. Then you just chuck that into your dandy 4-jaw chuck on the lathe. Dial it in, and you're good to go. You won't be able to pass stock through the spindle, but you would have your Jacobs chuck for driving with the headstock.

-frank

Good ideas.
I have thought of just finding a Jacobs chuck with 1/2-20 threads, this seems like it would work.
I like the idea of the smaller 3 jaw chuck however, I'm really trying to keep this cheap!
The idea about holding a drill chuck with the 4 jaw I like...but for me the hollow shaft is almost necessary, so it would only work some of the time.
Mk

for me the hollow shaft is almost necessary
Hollow? As in the stock through the spindle? I don't think any of the suggestions except the little 3-jaw chuck would provide that. The drill chucks don't have a through-hole, at least mine (Jacobs Super Chuck) don't. The Morse-to-Jacobs taper shank is likewise a solid piece.

Back