Craftsman 109-20630 Lathe Issues

Been there done that :) Good luck with the new one! I find you do get better at picking after a couple of goes.
My (new) wife now says "Your a genius" when I make some part for a broken thing on the farm.
"How do you know how to do that?" is another popular question. From a former life is usually the answer.
David

Thanks David, my new wife is pretty understanding of my workshop and the tools! It'll be great to get the Atlas out of the crate its been in for about 5 years, I've moved this machine 3 times. Bought it from a farmer originally, was setting in a barn and hadn't been used for years. Always wanted one, will be great getting it cleaned up and working again.

Post before during and after shots people love that stuff here!
The hardest bit is remembering to take the before shots as we are all usually keen to get into it especially after waiting so long to start.

With the Craftsman 109 lathe, I am wondering how hard is it to replace the spindle? I am somewhat mechanical but I definitely have my limitations. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Replacing the spindle should be easy unless something is gauled. Look at it and you will see . One thing that is not obvious is that the pully's have a set screw in the middle pully that will have to be loosened. Don

I don't have any actual experience with the AA lathes. But would hazard a guess that the set screw in the spindle cone pulley isn't a set screw. It's the oil plug for the spindle bushings. Remember that in back gear, the pulley must spin faster than the spindle. On the Atlas lathes it is a common occurrence for some previous owner to have forced the oil plug on down in contact with the spindle, damaging it. There may, however, be a set screw in the back gear assembly near the front of the headstock. Download the appropriate manual from the Atlas/Craftsman/AA Category in DOWNLOADS. If you haven't used DOWNLOADS before, read the instructions in the sticky area at the top of this forum.

Study the headstock parts drawing. It appears that you would first remove the gear from the left end of the spindle. Then remove the split collar just to the right of that from the spindle. Then I think that the spindle will pull out of the front of the headstock.

With the Craftsman 109 lathe, I am wondering how hard is it to replace the spindle? I am somewhat mechanical but I definitely have my limitations. Has anyone had any experience doing this?
I have removed the spindle numerous times on these 109 lathes, it is fairly easy. Just know there is a small woodruff key between the spindle and planetary gear assembly. Often the gear gets stuck on the key due to a burr or the key is slightly damaged from use, once the key is out it all comes out easily.

Back