craftex cx701 lathe. I really need to catch a break!!

bluecollarcult

Registered
Registered
ok, first post on this site. Long story short i bought a craftex cx701 from busy bee tools. I paid half price for the lathe because the hood over the electrical had been damaged. just a small ding. when i talked to the guy at busy bee he told me warranty, return etc. was the same as any other sale. I was also told the lathe worked like new. When i recieved the machine i seen right away that the fuse was blown, so i replaced that and still no power, keeps tripping my shop breaker and blowing fuses. Now busy bee is saying no warranty, no nothing because it was a "salvage sale". Funny they never told me that until after i pay for it and when i tell them about the problems. Also im six hours away from the closest store, if i was closer this situation would be diffrent, believe me. So now im taking apart the machine looking at the wiring and i see that the wiring schematic in the manual, the one on the machine itself and the actaul wiring in the machine are all contradicting each other. I'm no electrician but i think i have it narrowed down to the speed control board, but i really need to know what the wiring on a running machine looks like. Someone has been in this machine before and things are not as they should be, and the wiring schematics just dont line up, period. Is there anyone out there who could give me a hand? photos, homemade wiring schematics, talk me through it? I build custom motorcycles ( old stuff, not OCC!), and this is really slowing me up. Ive spent three shop days working on this thing. Id do my best to make it worth your while. I see that precision mathews sells the same 11 x 27, my advice would to be to buy from them not busy bee if you have the choice. Even though i didnt buy from them the guy at precision mathews was 100x the help anyone at busy bee was, and they have parts in stock. busy bee told me 3-6 months for replacement parts. thanks all, i really do appreciate it.

I've got the same lathe and had some issues with the motor stopping intermittantly when I first had it. I did a bit of checking on it and what I finally found was a wire terminal that was not very secure and had come loose from the speed control board. I too found that the wiring diagrams were not completely accurate. I have to check my manual, but I think I edited the diagram to reflect the real wiring. I'll check it ouit when I get a chance and let you know. As I recall, it was fairly close to the diagram except for the wire in question which did not show up correctly.

That would be awesome , that's my biggest problem, three diffrent schematics, none of which are right. If I remember correctly its the "9" wire, and the "10" wire and the "11" wire that are completely mislabeled. I think if I can get this sorted out I'll put up a link to a definitive schematic it really wouldn't be that hard to draw out there really is not that many connection points. I don't have any loose wires, it is just a non working speed control board, I have no DRO or anything. I'm sure it's the bridge rectifiers, but getting the wiring straightened out is the first priority. I emailed Weiss asking for a schematic, but no response. Thanks for your help BMW rider

Thanks alot, that wire you drew as you know isn't even in the online manual, and on the machine diagram it shows that wire as "9" and coming from the " out" side of the filter. In the machine itself there is a wire running from the filter ( at the point marked "a") to the "9" spot on the forward / reverse switch. And wires 10 and 14 are joined at the 14 spot on the magnetic on off switch. Also not shown anywhere is the unlabeled blue wire that is on a unlabeled point on the "in" side of the filter , I know it's for the DRO , but how hard is it to properly label a $3000.00 machine? Well I'll try that wire switch in the morning. Thanks again

ya, no luck. bmw rider -- your diagram is better then what i had but its till doesnt match up with the the schematic on the back of the machine, and none of them match with whats actually going on in my machine. I know it sounds simple enough but if you look at the schematics and then look inside your machine, especially at the filter board things just dont match. its tough to explain, someone before moved wires around so i really have no base to work off. I dont want to order a new speed control board, without getting this wiring sorted out. I think my next move is finding a working machine to physically look at. Anyone know of anyone in the central BC area that may have this machine or one similiar? Im six hours from the closest busy bee. Thanks again.

That was gonna be my next move. I tried talking to busy bee again and once again no luck. My machine manufacture date has 03/12 . And they are telling me I can't have bought the machine from them because I'm not in their computer ! So no warranty. I love how some people don't understand that computers can be wrong, and people putting Information into them can be wrong as well. Anyway, would anyone be willing to take a few pics of their filter board, the back of the on off switch and the speed control board? I'd really appreciate it, I'm going on six weeks with this damn thing now. Thanks again

I tried to get some photos, but its difficult to get anything meaningful, the wires are too short to get the cover out far enough to get a good clear photo of the boards. The wires just look like a jumble in there and I'd probably have to tear it all apart to get you anything usefull in a photo. That would of course require moving my lathe out from the wall to remove the back panel which I'm hesitant to do as it would necessitate relevelling the whole thing afterwards.

The best I can tell you is that the wiring diagram I posted earlier is accurate and complete for my lathe.

Hi guys,

I have an older Craftex B1979C I got it used and it was never set up correctly.
The previous owner put the cross-slide gib to a 80 grit grinder and ruined it.
I decided to make a few corrections (mods)
When I looked for wiring diagrams I found everything but mine.
Did you ever see yours running ?
I get the same "cost-umer service" from busy beeT too.
Have you tried emailing Grizzly or LMS littlemachineshop.com ?
I had to purchase new gibs from Grizzly because BB said 2 months b/o
My suggestion would be to follow bmw rider's scematics, see if that runs, maybe the previous owner or a store room employee tossed it back together to get it sold.. ya never know

can you post pics ?

with these offshore brands it's hard to differentiate between what is what or who made what.

best of luck
Barclay

Ya, I can draw one up in a day or two , bmw riders is close but for a couple of the connections at the emergency in off switch, and at the forward reverse. If you get BMW rider to send you the same pics he sent me, you'll see what I mean. The pics really did help me. The labeling on the machine itself is a joke , and I did get it running but now only have one speed.

Back