Couple questions about Rockwell 14" lathe

billb2011

Active User
Registered
I have just joined the site and had a couple questions about my lathe. It has variable speed drive but the lever is not on it. It doesnt look like it is broke off, but it doesnt look like there is any way to attatch a new one either.

Also was wondering what the shaft is poking up from under the quick change gearbox?
IMAG0336.jpg
IMAG0339.jpg

Thank you for the help!

Bill

IMAG0336.jpg IMAG0339.jpg

See Jeremy, thats the thing........mine has nothing on it so I don't know lol. Actually though I think mine is supposed to have the lever rather than a hand wheel. The pictures from your first reply I think are of the older models (maybe newer). Anyway its just weird how the place where the lever goes just sticks out like it was sheared off. There are no cut marks on it and you can tell it wasn't broke off, it just looks blank. You are supposed to pull out then rotate and I've tried tugging on it with pliers and it won't move. I think its got enough tension on it that you need the lever. If I don't figure anything out soon I think I'll weld something to it and see if I can make it work I guess.
Thanks for your input!

Oh yeah.......mine is identical to the last picture you posted I even have the taper attachment. Wish mine looked that nice though!

Looks like you just need to make one of those handles. Seems simple enough. Figure out what that other thing is yet? Sticking up vertically under the gear box? I don't see it on the last picture I posted.

No I haven't figured the other thing out yet and you're right its not showing in your picture.

Well after more research on the web and looking at other pictures I finally figured it out.

Jeremy if you click on the first link you posted it talks about an option you could get that is a power driven spindle speed changer, and it says there is a lever located on the lower right corner of the apron. Well I looked at my lathe and saw no lever in that location. Then I found this pic:

View attachment 87255

If you notice on the bottom right of the apron there is a lever with a black ball handle, its kind of hard to see at first but you will see the ball first and then notice it. Well I go look at mine and there is a spot for the lever but it is missing (no problem I can make a new one). But then in this pic you can also see the shaft under the gear box is attatched to linkage, and wouldnt you know it the linkage is attatched to the missing lever!!! So all I need to do is make a new lever and the broken linkage part on mine and should be good to go.

Thaks for your help, if I hadnt read about the optionI wouldnt have figured it out!:thumbzup3:

Awesome! I (as well as many, many others) consult lathes.co.uk on a regular basis. It's a great repository of machine information, including mills, shapers, etc. I always check it out when I'm thinking of buying a certain machine, especially if I've never heard of it. I even bought the manual for my Bradford from Tony.

I had a Rockwell 21-122 combo mill many years ago, sold it to a friend to pay for my Bridgeport, and bought it back from him a week ago so I could have both mills in the shop. When I first bought it, UPS had just taken over Overnight. I had the mill shipped from New Jersey to Sacramento for $400. The guy who dropped it off said I planned it just right because the price would be double or triple that in a week after UPS finished soaking up Overnight. I should try to find one of these to go with my mill. Looks about the same vintage and a pretty sturdy lathe.

Post pictures of that assembled (and the whole lathe) when you get it all together.

Regards,
Jeremy

Back