Couple Measurements For A Logan 200

jtb51b

Registered
Registered
I have a new to me Logan 200 that I intend to use in my home shop. I need a couple measurements in order to make a couple repair parts. First I would like to know the size and shape of the back gear pin, this is the pin located in the smallest of the 3 spindle pulleys, it is threaded 1/4-20 and has a pin shaped end. The other item is in the compound, it is the threaded end that the movement screw passed thru. This "bolt" has the indicator mark for the compound adjustment. I really just need to know the overall length from where the dial rest to where the compound movement thread stop rest. I do NOT have the back gear pin, but I can take pics of the compound component I need the measurement for.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Yes I do have the manuals. Sorry I should have referenced the part numbers! You are correct the first part IS part LA-193, the second part is La-254 and is described as a "bushing". My compound is VERY similar to LA-49-2 with the exception that my compound rest nut is drilled and tapped for a vertical threaded bolt rather than a horizontaly threaded socket head screw. Maybe I have a different compound than listed? Are threre and serial number references for these lathes that will tell what it came with? I am quite certain it is original, everything else is including the 3/8-1/2 open end wrench that came with it.

Jason

Are there and serial number references for these lathes that will tell what it came with?

Well sometimes... The manual for the 820 says the LA-49-2 compound was used up to Serial Number 50843 (this detail seems to be missing from the 200 manual) and the LA-49-4 was used for serial number 50843 and later. The 200 manual shows the LA-49-2 with no mention of serial numbers and then shows the LA-49-5 and says for all 10"&11" lathes from serial number 71060.

My lathe does have the LA-49-2 compound, I will try to get out and measure LA-254 sometime today. I don't remember my lathe having LA-193 but it's been a few years since I had it apart so maybe it does. If it does I will measure that also. Expect a reply late this evening.

DSCF7124_zpswvrl05oi.jpg

LA-193 Lock Screw: 3/8 long, unthreaded portion is 3/16 diameter X 1/8 long.

I'm not sure what measurement you need on the threaded bushing. My Model 200 parts diagram calls it a an LA-254 'till S/N 50843 and LA-748 after.

Last edited:
Awesome! I will turn down a long set screw now. My serial number is 25176 so that would be the correct number. The measurement I need is the OAL, from where the measuring dial meets up on the outside to where the stop made into shaft meets up on the inside. I will try to get a picture when I get back home.

Thank you for all the quick help!

Jason

My LA-254 as measured with my cheap digital calipers:

overall length 0.990"
length of wider unthreaded section 0.395"
length of thread on narrow section 0.485"
diameter of threaded part 0.682
thread 16tpi
diameter of hole without bushing 0.500
internal diameter bushing should probably be 0.375 (mine is sloppy and needs to be replaced)

As for LA193 mine is a 5/16" long nylon locking stainless set screw, probably not original.

I will say you probably have the older LA 49-2 compound. Have to undo the nuts on each side to rotate it. The latter one had a set screw on each side.

I have the LA 49-2 ... but it is all together. Hopefully someone has a loose LA 254 laying around. If not, I can pull mine apart a little to get some measurements. But not until is warms up a bit ... its freaking cold up here right now (unheated shop, in the north).

Clueless had one ... great. I think we were typing at the same time.

It was a good excuse to take mine apart since I knew I needed to address some slop issues anyway. I added some bronze bushings to my next McMaster order.

Now my turn to ask a question, does LA-193 serve any purpose other than covering up the "OIL" hole?

Back