Couple End Mill Questions.....

Pinresto

Active User
Registered
Hi,
In the past I would have picked an end mill for a particular job at random almost. Now that I'm getting more familiar with metal working I'd like to know the correct way to pick an end mill. I have the HF end mill kit. 20pc's, ten 4 flute and ten 2 flute. I'm squaring up a small aluminum block 1" x .875" x .500". What size end mill should I use? Does it make any difference? From what I've read I should use the 2 flute for soft materials but what about size? Largest possible? Smallest I can use with one pass? Smallest I can use with 2 passes? How do I decide?
Also, what about the wax on the end mill? Should it be cleaned off or just cut through it? It's not the thick wax that comes off like a sleeve. It's thinner and flakes off. I would probably use a solvent if it needs removing.
Thanks in advance. I really appreciate your help.

For side milling, use the four flutes, (more cutters per rev). For slots, use 2 flutes, if you use 4 flutes for slots, the mill wants to walk sideways, there's always one flute that is pushing the cutter sideways, pushing the next flute into the side of the slot.

If you are making a .250 slot, use a .187 cutter, and finish both sides, don't depend on the size of the cutter to determine the size of the slot.

In any case, since we're not in this for production, don't cut deeper than the cutter is wide, use several passes for slots. (this doesn't apply to side cutting, nor does it apply to "roughing end mills.") They're designed for heavy deep cuts.

Once your comfortable with endmilling, you can adventure into deeper cuts.

Size, determined by "Is the flute long enough to cut the entire surface?"

Wax, regardless of type should be removed, however, whatever it takes.

Back