Countershaft very HOT.

By looking at your pulleys there either worn badly or the belt needs to be wider 5/8" instead of 1/2". The red belt is riding way to low in the pulley . The flat of the belt should be level or a tiny bit above the pulley. Just my observation of the set up.

Good observation. I wonder if the belt is riding on the bottom of belt rather than the sides? And hence the need for way too much belt tension.

David

I think we can put a lot of emphasis on the belts but if the belts were at issue it would be the pulley that's hot, not the end of the shaft, although you did say front pulley/shaft. If it were the belt, that's a lot of heat transfer to get the shaft hot to the touch and if so the belt should be close to smoking. Based on your comments it does seem to be a lubrication issue. I'll ask something that you've probably already checked, but with the belts off, does the shaft turn freely?
I think you'll find with the belt slippage he's tightening the lever causing savere pressure on bronze bearings , there's the reason the shaft gets hotter then the pulley does . It's part of the cause and affect . With as wet as the shaft is it's oiled or greased.

I agree with Silverbullet. A 1/2" belt is too narrow. The original was closer to 5/8" wide. Clausing recommended a Gates 3280 to me for my mill.

I think you'll find with the belt slippage he's tightening the lever causing savere pressure on bronze bearings , there's the reason the shaft gets hotter then the pulley does . It's part of the cause and affect . With as wet as the shaft is it's oiled or greased.

If the shaft was wet, as in wet...wet...wet, we would see a drop or drip, it's what #6 does. This is an adjustable link type belt and the difference of 1/8" in width doesn't change the dimensions on the side "Vee" enough that would cause the slippage or heat buildup. In regards to the position the belt is sitting in the pulley groove, we could imagine where a belt may land in a pulley if this were variable speed, so being another 1/8" higher in the pulley will only change the speed minimally without adding or taking away tractive force or effort. As a rule, a belt and pulley are sized based on the HP of the motor to insure they hold up to the physical demands of startup torque etc. and it isn't emparative for a v-belt to be sized precisely for the machine to work. With that said, I would be just as happy for TD if he says he put a 5/8" belt on and all is cool. :D

The narrow belt is an issue if it's bottoming out in the pulley because it prevents the sidewalls from gripping the pulley the way it should, which would lead to the belt slipping. If you look at the photo TD posted, you can see that the inside of the links are black from rubbing on the bottom of the pulley groove. I'm not saying that's the only possible cause, but it's where I would start.

The narrow belt is an issue if it's bottoming out in the pulley because it prevents the sidewalls from gripping the pulley the way it should, which would lead to the belt slipping. If you look at the photo TD posted, you can see that the inside of the links are black from rubbing on the bottom of the pulley groove. I'm not saying that's the only possible cause, but it's where I would start.
If that were the case, I agree.

Bought a link belt for now. It's just shy of 5/8" in width.

Before we get to that I have to ask another dumb question. Do the oilite bearings have a hole to allow oil direct contact with the shaft on this thing? The oilites are impregnated with oil, right? Is that all they required, oil contact on the outside? Doesn't seem right to me. See photos below, no hole in the bearing. Paper towel for clarity. BTW, do you like the cooked and heavily scored shaft?:eek::mad::eek::mad:20170523_231645.jpg
20170523_231433.jpg

Bought a link belt for now. It's just shy of 5/8" in width.

Before we get to that I have to ask another dumb question. Do the oilite bearings have a hole to allow oil direct contact with the shaft on this thing? The oilites are impregnated with oil, right? Is that all they required, oil contact on the outside? Doesn't seem right to me. See photos below, no hole in the bearing. Paper towel for clarity. BTW, do you like the cooked and heavily scored shaft?:eek::mad::eek::mad:View attachment 234162
View attachment 234161

I think you just eliminated the belt as a problem. Yes, the oil needs a path to the shaft.

Edit; However dumb you may think the questions may be, you're getting smarter by the minute.:D

I made the cooked shaft all by my little self and learned about Oilite bearings today during play time.:D:D

I will go out on a limb and assume these were not the original bearings. The previous owner must have had a blast hacking this machine. Between the welded overarm, adding an additional set screw to the spindle pulley (different topic/different thread), etc. The list goes on.

I made the cooked shaft all by my little self and learned about Oilite bearings today during play time.:D:D

I will go out on a limb and assume these were not the original bearings. The previous owner must have had a blast hacking this machine. Between the welded overarm, adding an additional set screw to the spindle pulley (different topic/different thread), etc. The list goes on.

Are the bearings/bushings oilite? Maybe just bronze bushings? Oilite bearings do dry out but I have used some (I forget what it is called) that have grooves machined in them along with holes located in the grooves. I have used both having spiral grooves and straight grooves in the bearings. Oilite is suppose to be self lubricating but.......?

Back