Counterfeits, Fakes And Copies....? Tools And Gages

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone ever bought a fake when they thought they were buying the genuine article?
I've seen some good Mitutoyo caliper copies that can fool a lot of people.
I've never bought a fake anything, but I'm curious to hear if anyone has or knows of
fake Interapids, Starrett, Mitutoyo etc... The Chinese can copy anything.

And how do you spot them? I try to buy from reputable dealers mostly. This is not meant to
embarrass anyone or say your foolish. We've all been duped by something. Sometimes we spotted them in time. :)

Great topic! I work in the electronics industry and supply chain integrity is one HUGE issue. There was a video sent around from our purchasing department of people removing parts from printed circuit boards using torches on the side walk, they would then be clean, straightened, remarked and sold as new.

Has anyone ever bought a fake when they thought they were buying the genuine article?
I'm not sure I could tell, unless the 'fit and finish' was way far off on the initial inspection.

I've never bought a fake anything
Are you sure? How do you know?

-brino

I bought a Mitutoyo indicator that isn't of very nice finish. Not near as nice as people act like so it may be a fake. It seems to work but not that pretty.

If you find a deal that is too good note the model number then got to the Mitutoyo website and compare with same model. Mitutoyo uses an LR44 battery not a SR44 batteries. Also Mitutoyo does not ship NEW gauges with batteries installed. Also look at the digits. The the least significant digit is half size instead of full size on most fakes. Also the “in” indicator is usually on the wrong side of the display on a fake.

The Chinese do not copy vintage tools. And I buy from reputable dealers.
I can honestly say that I don't have any fakes, just some poorly made Browne and Sharpe tools. :)

Mitutoyo has a web site dealing with the Chinese who are making counterfeit copies of their products, they offer some advice on how to spot the fakes. They also counterfeit things like Gibson guitars.

Not a tool but there were counterfeit SqD breakers being made in China and sold by reputable dealers. The "breaker" was only a switch without a thermal unit installed. Most were recalled through Schneider lawsuits.

G'Day Fellas,
It's not just Mitutoyo, there are a heap of fake Mahr and Mauser calipers out there as well, what I wonder is how they actually make any money ?, I have a fake Mitutoyo 300 mm vernier caliper, I knew it was a fake when I purchased it and the seller was quite upfront about the fact that it was of Chinese origin. The caliper itself is a mid range generic job that would probably sell in the $50 - $60 here in Oz, some enterprising little bugger has put it on a laser engraver to fake the Mitutoyo trade mark, bar code and serial number, they have screen printed the Mitutoyo logo on the vinyl case and reprinted the original manual and guarantee card. The Hong Kong dealer sells these for AUD $25 plus $12 postage. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for very little return.
Regards,
Martin

G'Day Fellas,
It's not just Mitutoyo, there are a heap of fake Mahr and Mauser calipers out there as well, what I wonder is how they actually make any money ?, I have a fake Mitutoyo 300 mm vernier caliper, I knew it was a fake when I purchased it and the seller was quite upfront about the fact that it was of Chinese origin. The caliper itself is a mid range generic job that would probably sell in the $50 - $60 here in Oz, some enterprising little bugger has put it on a laser engraver to fake the Mitutoyo trade mark, bar code and serial number, they have screen printed the Mitutoyo logo on the vinyl case and reprinted the original manual and guarantee card. The Hong Kong dealer sells these for AUD $25 plus $12 postage. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to for very little return.
Regards,
Martin
Perhaps its the other way around: Mitutoyo is making a *lot* of money.

I've read that there are fake Interapids and Starrett tools as well.
Some fakes are better than others and there are ways to spot them.

Back