[Newbie] Could This Nylon Piece Be Easily Made?

mun

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I have designed a small piece of nylon part and wonder if it could be CNCed. More specifically, my concern is with the cut circled in red. It sits directly opposite of a boss, but that boss has a through-all hole. Could the 3mm cut be easily made through the through-all hole on the other side? Here's the diagram:

TPnnGvC.png

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

Hi all,

I have designed a small piece of nylon part and wonder if it could be CNCed. More specifically, my concern is with the cut circled in red. It sits directly opposite of a boss, but that boss has a through-all hole. Could the 3mm cut be easily made through the through-all hole on the other side? Here's the diagram:

TPnnGvC.png

Any thought appreciated.

Thanks

Looking at the concerned area, machining would require a long dril and/or end mill. I would be concerned about the ability to hold position of the drill or end mill over that length. all dimensions are not included but it looks like you have about 50mm of distance.

My first thought would be to make the bottom hole a through hole. If I were to attempt the part as drawn, I would probably machine a rectangle containing the two bosses and cut the middle section out. With that, you have a good chance of accurately locating the lower hole before drilling/milling. Once the hole was made, you can complete the rest of the machining.
Part 1.JPG

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

TPnnGvC.png

my thought would be to make the holes using a fixture that had a guide for that hole coming up through the center of the part after it comes off the cnc.

Back