Could Someone Please Tell Me What This Lathe Is

Vince_O

Active User
Registered
http://www.mearesauctions.com/auction/200406/equipment-tool-auction/

Guys as some of you know Im new at metal working. I have a small Atlas 6 in lathe and Im finding out I will grow out of this fast.

The lathe in this auction Ive seen the name on the vids of tubcalcain, that about it. I was told to keep my eyes out for something larger like a 10 inch, is this somethiong much bigger than my small atlas?

That's a Hardinge precision toolroom lathe. Not sure what model though. They were king of the hill in precision lathes, designed for ultra precision threading and small fixtures. Since it has a tailstock and no turret, it's not considered a 2nd operation lathe. This one looks to be a 9" swing with probably 24" between centers. This would be very limited for the kind of work I think you do. Typically they only hold collets and have no mechanism for a spin-on or lug-type chuck. If you can get it cheap and if it's in good shape, it has good flip value.

It's basically the early version of this (and I would love to have one like this). New ones like this are running between 30 and 50 grand depending on how outfitted.

Ray

http://www.mearesauctions.com/auction/200406/equipment-tool-auction/

Guys as some of you know Im new at metal working. I have a small Atlas 6 in lathe and Im finding out I will grow out of this fast.

The lathe in this auction Ive seen the name on the vids of tubcalcain, that about it. I was told to keep my eyes out for something larger like a 10 inch, is this somethiong much bigger than my small atlas?

Quick correction... It's probably 18" between centers.

Monarch was the other lathe in it's class and many of those were 22".

Somewhere toward the end, Monarch and Hardinge merged. Finally, it's hard to say what it's worth for the usual reasons: How much tooling and what shape is it in. That particular model was pretty basic. I see nicer ones on eBay going for 3 grand. Nicer models, fully outfitted and in good condition, I see them between 7 and 12 some as high as 20 -which is crazy because you can get brand new ones with way more features for 22.

Ray

Wow Ray thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be way out of range for me.

Who knows. At auction it might sell for dirt cheap in which case, you could flip it.

Ray

Wow Ray thanks for the info. Sounds like it will be way out of range for me.

Vince

That one doesn't have a lead screw so know threading and know power to cross slide or anything else.

Paul

Vince--Paul is right, there is no threading and just hand operation of the cross slide, but it is a nice lathe--you can use 5c collets in spindle and you can use a hardinge 5in. 3 or 4 jaw chuck or a face plate on the outer spindle taper. $300 would be a very good buy if it comes with the cross slide compound and maybe a chuck and any collets. --there are also two other turret lathes on the auction that would be larger than your 6" atlas, but maybe too heavy for your shop. ---Dave

Hi Vince,

One of the lesser expensive machines that came in a variety of sizes is Logan. They have power feeds and ability to thread, they have roller bearing headstocks, all around a nice machine for the money.

I too started out with an atlas, I put a variable speed gearmotor on the lead screw for power feeds so I could stop changing gears all the time. I had 3 Logans (all at once)a Carrol Jamison ( way too big for my shop) a Clausing and now have a Rockwell 11" ( its a long story...fun but long)

A machinist friend once said you can always do small work on a big machine but you can't do big work on a small one, so if you happen on a 12 or 14" don't shy away "cause I'll never need to do anything that big"

Don't you believe it bud, the laws of cause and effect are always waiting .

Phil

yeah, logan is a nice lathe, but I would hold out for a logan that has the auto apron, and the QCGB.
Also hold out for one that has the larger spindle.
The 1st. time you want to pass something larger than about 3/4" through the head stock, your gonna be disappointed.
Hi Vince,

One of the lesser expensive machines that came in a variety of sizes is Logan. They have power feeds and ability to thread, they have roller bearing headstocks, all around a nice machine for the money.

I too started out with an atlas, I put a variable speed gearmotor on the lead screw for power feeds so I could stop changing gears all the time. I had 3 Logans (all at once)a Carrol Jamison ( way too big for my shop) a Clausing and now have a Rockwell 11" ( its a long story...fun but long)

A machinist friend once said you can always do small work on a big machine but you can't do big work on a small one, so if you happen on a 12 or 14" don't shy away "cause I'll never need to do anything that big"

Don't you believe it bud, the laws of cause and effect are always waiting .

Phil

Ok so what is ment by a "collett" Ive seen them on epay but what do you do with them.

Also 300 buck is WELL in the buget if I got it for 300 is there room to make money off it in pices or whole? This would go to support the next larger lathe.

Also Im hearing that a logan may be more what I would need, so is there a model you all like? Something I should do some research on. One thing I do want to do with my next lathe, if I get one big enough, is to be able to put a wheel in it and cut it then weld another piece to it for tractor pullers. I have a friend up in Pa that dose it on his pullers to run a differant offset for traction. I know his lathe is a grizzly or something like that. The wheels are 12 inch.

I really apercate the help on this, I want to spend my money wisely and not hurry into something. I got my little atlas for 50 bucks and may have now 200 in it with extra tooilng. With the larger lathe I dont think Ill sell the little one, just set it in the corrner of the shop.

Back