1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Could anyone share ideas for bench grinder rests?

Discussion in 'MACHINE ACCESSORIES (Tables, Vises, Indexers)' started by 493mike, Feb 13, 2017.

1. 493mike

493mike United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    White Cloud
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I have an older Sears 7" bench grinder (my first power tool purchase) and it is equipped with very rudimentary material rests. I would like to easily dial in rest angles for lathe cutter grinding. Has anyone here solved this issue? Thanks for sharing!
    Mike

2. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

intjonmiller and tweinke like this.
  3. Splat

Splat Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    here and there...
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I have the Veritas grinder rest and it is very good. They ain't cheap and not heavy duty but have been holding up fine to standard grinding jobs. MOF, I now have two of them. If you have the time and can build something like them then go for it.

4. terrywerm

terrywerm New Member Liaison Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Jordan
    State:
    Minnesota

-Return to Top-

Ditto on what Bill said. Harold's projects are top notch. Harold happens to be a member here (HomeMetalMan) and many of his videos are also available on this site.

Silverbullet and intjonmiller like this.
  5. 493mike

493mike United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    White Cloud
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Thank you for the responses!
    Mike

6. intjonmiller

intjonmiller United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Layton
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

That is a very good book on the subject. I was disappointed, however, as an owner of an inherited tool & cutter grinder to find that it didn't teach me much at all about my machine of nearly the same name as the book title. Worthwhile to read and own for reference anyway.

7. kd4gij

kd4gij United States Active User Active Member

City:
    St. Petersburg
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I am pretty sure there is plans on projects in metal web site.

8. 12bolts

12bolts Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    Hinchinbrook

-Return to Top-

To be fair Jon,
    Tool and Cutter grinding is a pretty broad subject. I too have a T&C grinder but because it is called that, it doesnt make it "nearly the same" as something referenced in a book title. Manufacturers make so many different, subtle changes to their equipment, (perhaps to give them the sales edge), that one book could not possibly cover all operations or aspects of the subject. Otherwise half the "specialized" machinists would be out of a job!

Cheers Phil

9. MozamPete

MozamPete South Africa Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ladysmith
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. intjonmiller

intjonmiller United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Layton
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

You are reading assumptions into what I said. The name of the machine and the name of the book are very nearly the same. That is all I said.

Incidentally, even machinist textbooks I've found scarcely make mention of T&C grinders. The most "complete" I've found had a single photo of one and a single paragraph which said approximately, "You should also be aware that this kind of grinder also exists."

11. Bill Gruby

Bill Gruby United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Bristol
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I can see the point here on the title similarity, point well taken, but right off the bat it should be recognized as a book about using the bench grinder, not a cutter grinder. I have built my own cutter grinder and find it more useful than many commercial units I have used over the years.

I referred the OP to the book for the reason that he was looking for a rest for his bench grinder. You would be hard pressed (IMHO) to find better.

"Billy G"

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/home-grown-cutter-grinder.19384/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  12. Billh50

Billh50 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    New Britain
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

After looking at the video on their website, this looks like a nice setup for sharpening and making lathe tools especially. It may work as well for endmills, but I would have to see one to know for sure. But definitely a nice and easy unit to work with for sharpening.

13. doogledee

doogledee Norway Active Member Active Member

City:
    oslo, Norway
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

I have one of these. Got the kit. Fun project. Very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. intjonmiller

City:
    Layton
    State:
    Utah

-Return to Top-

And I recognized that before I purchased it. It was an offhand comment about briefly getting my hopes up. I thought it might amuse a few people. I really didn't think it would cause such consternation. You'll note that I also recommended the book for the exact purpose as inquired.

As a matter of incredible coincidence (I assume?) Harold just uploaded a video on the subject of the grinder rest this morning:

15. Fabrickator

Fabrickator United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Lakewood
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I'm not sure who's this is but I kept in in my picture files for a future project. Looks pretty stout and easy enough to make.

DSC07690.JPG DSC07691.JPG DSC07692.JPG Grinding Rest DrwgIMG (1).jpg Rest Parts.JPG Rest Plate.JPG