Correct safety glasses for metal grinding?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi guys,
I can't seem to track down a recommended class 4 safety glasses to protect my eyes from the UV LIGHT from knife making and other grinding on a 2 " by 72" belt grinder.
I see shade numbers under welding glasses, but I do not weld and do not know what would be to shaded to work with just grinding.
Do the glasses need to be any certain color tint?
mcmaster has a pair with corner guards and is #3 shade item # 47515T24.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

I don't know how you could generate light in that short of a wavelength (100 to 400 nm) by grinding. Some infrared would be generated, as would light in the visible spectrum (sparks). None of which is harmful. If it were generating any UV, it would be a very small fraction of what a standard florescent lamp would put out.

Auto-darkening welding helmets often have a "grind mode" setting (the good ones, anyway). Would that be similar to what you want? Offhand I think it's a shade 4 but I could be wrong, a helmet spec would say though.

-frank

I havent seen safety glasses specifically tint rated for grinding, but you can get safety glasses in various tint colours and shade levels. Maybe something for outdoor use would suit?

Cheers Phil

Just checked my Optrel, it is a shade 4 in grind mode.

-frank

I was under the impression that most clear safety glasses had uv protection anyways..... But would any uv generated from grinding be more than even a nice shady sit down under a tree?

Just checked my Optrel, it is a shade 4 in grind mode.

-frank
Hi Frank,
does grinding a weld with a hand held grinder give off more sparks than a 2 by 72" belt grinder shaping a profile on a piece of tool steel?
jon

Depends how hard you press ;)

An angle grinder will throw of a good lot of sparks, as will a large bench grinder/belt grinder.

As far as protection, I actually prefer a full face shield for heavy grinding; even if the sparks don't do any damage... they don't feel very good on exposed facial skin. I typically use an un-tinted shield, I don't imagine you want much as it is not that bright, and any amount of tint will effect your perception of color (which can be important).

Depends how hard you press ;)

An angle grinder will throw of a good lot of sparks, as will a large bench grinder/belt grinder.

As far as protection, I actually prefer a full face shield for heavy grinding; even if the sparks don't do any damage... they don't feel very good on exposed facial skin. I typically use an un-tinted shield, I don't imagine you want much as it is not that bright, and any amount of tint will effect your perception of color (which can be important).

i would be inclined to ask my eye doctor or an optometrist-- just my $.02 . re steve in mt.

Back