• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Copycat Mill Build.

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
all the visable green wires in my pics that are not in a shielded cable are equipment grounds
in the pics showing the power supplies you will see heat shrinked wires going to the equipment ground terminal that the green wire is hooked to. that is the shield wires grounding.
my terminal strips came from 2 denford cnc's i scrapped i have purchased from homedepot and used jumpers as you said also
the two holes by the plug are 15 amp breakers. fuses would work fine and i stripped the plug from a pc power supply as you said
another source for breakers and lighted switches is power strips they are sometimes cheaper than buying the parts. dollar stores are a cheap source
if i missed something please ask
steve

DSCF0222.JPG

Blackhawk

Active User
WOW, the light just came on about the jumpers and shield. will redo my setup. i have a lot of shielded wire left, is it ok to use for the stepper motors and how long are the runs from mill to enclosure.

lanham

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
WOW, the light just came on about the jumpers and shield. will redo my setup. i have a lot of shielded wire left, is it ok to use for the stepper motors and how long are the runs from mill to enclosure.

lanham
I used shield wire for my steppers. mine was 18 gauge even on the 4200 motor it is big enough
my wires from controller to machine are 10', i figured too much is better than too short. and i didnt know where i'd place the controller at the time
steve

Blackhawk

Active User
Thanks steve,

For the noobs, like myself, who did not know, a soldering iron will burn through human flesh. dont worry though, it does not hurt for at least 2 to 3 minutes...................:angry: that is the amount of time you got to get some cold wiskey in your gut:whiteflag:

iron.JPG

iron.JPG

7HC

Active User
You can add a bandsaw to the list of things that bite.

This is from the Yahoo Bandsaw group:

finger.jpg

Ouch indeed!

M

finger.jpg

dennis98277

Active User
dennis, thats a long move, i was in cali when i got orders for ft meade, took a week to drive. oh my aching back

lanham
Yeah buddy I know the only good thing is I have been on morphine and oxycodine for a while so I am able to take my morning dose and be able to drive but I think I will be having a issue with my bulged disk the first day :bawling:

I am watching a couple of your threads good job. Are you going to be stationed in ky in near future?

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
hi
i could not post the wiring diagram you were asking about in your pm so i posted it here for the DQ2722M controller
in the box on the left side you will only use connections on pins 1,2,3,4 all the others are not used
steve

423963925_o.jpg

Blackhawk

Active User
Thanks,

i guess I have another problem then. Hope it's not a bad driver.

when I plug it in the green light blinks twice then goes out and red light starts blinking. I jog the z and motor jerks erratically.

Disconnect motor from driver same blinking lights.
disconnect breakout board from driver same blinking lights.
turn off all dp switch same blinking lights

lanham

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
you have 2 sections of switches labled d1-d4 and d1-d6
in the 4 switch set d1-d4 are all on
in the d1-d6 section
d1 on
d2 off
d3 off
d4 on
d5 off
d6 off
is that what you have? it should be
Did you copy my mach3mill.xml file into your mach3 directory? you should and restart mach3
let me know if that helps we need to see if anything is set wrong before changing drivers
if there is still a problem we need to check the motor wiring for crossed wires
how many wires was the 4200 motor and colors if your still not working
steve

http://www.wantmotor.com/ProductsView.asp?id=256&pid=75&sid=82

Blackhawk

Active User
Here is the response I got from the company, not sure what it means. :nuts:

Hi friend,
How are you?
Thanks very much for your Email.
Would you please send me the driver DQ2722M to my Email address: jolie1985love@live.cn
So that I can check the driver DQ2722M, is it ok?
And you want to buy 1 pc 800-900oz-in motor+ 1 pc matching driver+ 1 pc power supply + 1 pc breakout board& cable, right?
Thanks & best regards,
Jolie

Blackhawk

Active User
Steve,

i installed your XML file, checked for crossed wires and set dp switches correctly and still get the alarm.
the motor was 4 wires.
i sent the company a video of the problem and hopefully I can get it resolved

lanham

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
that power supply and controller you posted should not run that 4200 motor. the 4200 motor is 8 amp and that power supply is 3.3 the controller only goes to 5.6 amps. it shouldnt work
check the motor with an ohm meter it should read .67 ohms through each winding and nothing across phase or to the housing
steve

Blackhawk

Active User
[video=youtube_share;hImyteVdacc]http://youtu.be/hImyteVdacc[/video]

steve,

this is the driver I am using, it is a video I sent to longs motor to see if they might replace it.

i will check the ohms later and let you know,

the other link was what I was thinking of using for the 4th axis

lanham

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
robert the controller will trip an alarm if it does not see a motor hooked to it. i had the same problem.
everything has to be connected and set properly to test the driver. if you set the switches and tested it without the motor connected you still get an alarm
steve

Blackhawk

Active User
Have not been working on the mill cause I have been moving. Transportation office told me months ago that since this is my terminal assignment they would move me without my retirement orders. I bought a house and gave my notice to post housing that I would be moving within a month, then went to transportation to schedule my move. Sorry sarg, no retirement orders no free move. :angry:

I decide to look for the positive, I got a van and a ford ranger and its only 85 miles, ill make it an adventure and have fun, I've got a month right?

what could go wrong?:whiteflag:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
check you motor tuning screen
I think they are trying to move too fast
and what do you have the switches set to on the drivers?
I think you have the same motor and drivers as me
Steve

Blackhawk

Active User
Steve,

All my parts are the same as yours. I'm doing some rewiring now that will hopefully fix it.

I lost the nut that goes to the z axis, I think it is a m16x1, do you know where I can find one, been looking all over and can't find one

Lanham

jumps4

Global Moderator
Staff member
the only one i could find on ebay is not cheap item Number
380883988225 but there is no locking set screw
try contacting the company you got the screws from?
Steve