Coop's Canedy-Otto Cincinnati Royal 18

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
Just picked up this drill press the other day from a VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) Maintenance Shop for $175.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of historical data on the interwebs for this machine, but I do know that Canedy-Otto was acquired by Cincinnati Lathe and Tool in 1949. What I find interesting is that the Tag has the Canedy-Otto name on top and then at the bottom it says "Product of Cincinnati Lathe and Tool". It makes me think that this press was manufactured right before, or during the transition from Canedy-Otto to Cincinnati.

There is a tag on the side of the head casting from Tidewater Supply Company in Norfolk, who I assume was the dealer that sold the machine. This press very well could have started out at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard before it ended up at VDOT...

It is missing the motor pulley stack, there is only a single small pulley on the motor. It is also missing the table height adjustment rack and crank. There is a heavy duty retracting spring mechanism attached to the casting head and the end of the flat steel spring is bolted to the table collar. I can raise and lower and swing the table with one hand...

I plan on cleaning it up, installing a new motor with a VFD and using it. It will get restored at some point.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
looks good! I really like those old style drill presses, everyone's a piece of garage art. Looking forward to the restoration.

looks good! I really like those old style drill presses, everyone's a piece of garage art. Looking forward to the restoration.

Thanks Matt. I love the Art Deco style of these older machines too.

I'll be ordering a VFD in a couple of days (Payday...) and see how it runs on the existing motor. I am going to wait to start the restore until after the garage is built this spring.

Upon closer examination of the motor, I think it needs new bearings. it sounds VERY rough just spinning it by hand. I am going to bite the bullet and buy a new motor matched to a VFD and work on the old motor at my leisure.

Nice buy on that press. I too love the older presses. Getting a 6 step motor pulley might be hard to find but with the vfd you should be ok without one or a more common 4 step pulley.

Post some pics/vids as you go forward with this press please.

Nice buy on that press. I too love the older presses. Getting a 6 step motor pulley might be hard to find but with the vfd you should be ok without one or a more common 4 step pulley.

Post some pics/vids as you go forward with this press please.

Thanks, will do. I found plenty of 5 step pulleys that would work. I'm looking at a Maska MAS62x7/8 5-step 6"-5"-4"-3"-2".

So I'm putting a LOT of thought into this. Please bear with my rambling and feel free to comment...

I think I have the spindle pulley stack measured correctly from the bottom up: 10"-9"-8"-7"-6"-5"

Using an RPM calculator, I come up with these spindle speeds with an 1800 rpm motor at 60hz:

2" to 10" = 360 rpm
3" to 9" = 600 rpm
4" to 8" = 900 rpm
5" to 7" = 1286 rpm
6" to 6" = 1800 rpm

If I set the motor stack to the next one up it would look like this:

2" to 9" = 400 rpm
3" to 8" = 675 rpm
4" to 7" = 1028 rpm
5" to 6" = 1500 rpm
6" to 5" = 2160 rpm

Which is pretty close to what the press shows to be original spindle speeds (for an 1800 rpm motor. the speed chart on my press is for a 1200 rpm motor...), but doesn't get me to the 3000 rpm mark that I would need for some things...

What I wonder is, what would be the optimum belt position that I should use as the initial setting for when I set up the VFD? I would think I would want to be at the fastest speed at 60-70 hz setting. I don't think I want to go any more than 70hz on the motor.

Knowing that 60 Hz = 1800 RPM and that 1 Hz = 30 RPM and a motor to spindle ratio at 1:1.2 will give me 2160 RPM at 60 hz, I would have to be at 2500 rpm at the motor. 2500-1800=700 700/30=23.3333. 23.3+60=83.3

That would mean I would have to set the VFD to 83.3 hz to get to 3000 rpm at the spindle with the motor spinning at 2500 rpm. That's about 140% of the rated rpm...

Is that a good idea?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about how slow I can go, not how fast. I would check the motor with an rpm gauge, I doubt your running 1800rpm, most likely in the 1725 range. Use that for your calcs.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about how slow I can go, not how fast. I would check the motor with an rpm gauge, I doubt your running 1800rpm, most likely in the 1725 range. Use that for your calcs.

With the VFD I can go down to 1 rpm if I wanted to going slow is the easy part. It's the high speed that is of more concern to me.

You could go with a 3600rpm motor, it would run in the 3450 rpm range. What do you need to cut at 3000+ rpm?

Maybe you can use an extra pulley, I think I calculated mine would run max at around 20000rpm with this mod on a 1725 motor.

[video=youtube_share;bk9L0Dxe4ng]http://youtu.be/bk9L0Dxe4ng[/video]

What do you need to drill at 3000 RPM? You doing dentistry? :LOL:

3000 RPM is really fast for drill press...

Ray

Thanks, will do. I found plenty of 5 step pulleys that would work. I'm looking at a Maska MAS62x7/8 5-step 6"-5"-4"-3"-2".

So I'm putting a LOT of thought into this. Please bear with my rambling and feel free to comment...

I think I have the spindle pulley stack measured correctly from the bottom up: 10"-9"-8"-7"-6"-5"

Using an RPM calculator, I come up with these spindle speeds with an 1800 rpm motor at 60hz:

2" to 10" = 360 rpm
3" to 9" = 600 rpm
4" to 8" = 900 rpm
5" to 7" = 1286 rpm
6" to 6" = 1800 rpm

If I set the motor stack to the next one up it would look like this:

2" to 9" = 400 rpm
3" to 8" = 675 rpm
4" to 7" = 1028 rpm
5" to 6" = 1500 rpm
6" to 5" = 2160 rpm

Which is pretty close to what the press shows to be original spindle speeds (for an 1800 rpm motor. the speed chart on my press is for a 1200 rpm motor...), but doesn't get me to the 3000 rpm mark that I would need for some things...

What I wonder is, what would be the optimum belt position that I should use as the initial setting for when I set up the VFD? I would think I would want to be at the fastest speed at 60-70 hz setting. I don't think I want to go any more than 70hz on the motor.

Knowing that 60 Hz = 1800 RPM and that 1 Hz = 30 RPM and a motor to spindle ratio at 1:1.2 will give me 2160 RPM at 60 hz, I would have to be at 2500 rpm at the motor. 2500-1800=700 700/30=23.3333. 23.3+60=83.3

That would mean I would have to set the VFD to 83.3 hz to get to 3000 rpm at the spindle with the motor spinning at 2500 rpm. That's about 140% of the rated rpm...

Is that a good idea?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Back