Cool trailer for Machine moving

Cheeseking

Active User
Registered
I used one of these trailers to bring my BP home a few years ago. Happened to come across a youtube video of it today and thought it would be of interest/use to folks here. Having it lower to ground level is a very nice feature to reduce some pucker factor. I rented mine from a local Sunbelt rental for like $60-70.
I should point out that by nature of design, these things are a bit wider between the fenders than most trailers of similar capacity. I know the popular 1 ton HF gantries will not span it - ask me how i found that out! . Fortunately I worked it out but mentioning it just in case someone is counting on that aspect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&v=X9gtNKeGxso&x-yt-cl=84359240

How did you find out the hf gantrie wouldn't span that trayler?:roflmao: Nice trailer though.

That looks really good. I could've used that myself quite a bit.

Those drop deck trailers are great for a lot of things, and that is what I thought I wanted to rent. When I was searching for trailers to rent to go and pick up my shaper (5,000+- lbs.) I was cautioned by several people who used the drop-deck trailer from Sunbelt. I was told that when heavily loaded, they don't roll behind the truck very well at highway speed and that they have a metal lip at the end when the deck is on the ground.
Sunbelt has a tilt back trailer that worked very well for me. Put a pallet jack up under the shaper, tilted the trailer up and it rolled off without a hitch. The trailer has a wooden deck so it was easy to lag-bolt the machine directly to the deck.

Mike

I rented one to move my horizontal mill and it was an absolutely painless experience. Some pipes, a couple of come-alongs and the drop deck trailer - done. Loading took about fifteen minutes with two people, unloading a bit longer working solo.

I rented one to move my horizontal mill and it was an absolutely painless experience. Some pipes, a couple of come-alongs and the drop deck trailer - done. Loading took about fifteen minutes with two people, unloading a bit longer working solo.

This is just what I wanted to do but was told that there was a 1" square tube at the end of the drop-deck. I am glad to hear that I was misinformed.

This is just what I wanted to do but was told that there was a 1" square tube at the end of the drop-deck. I am glad to hear that I was misinformed.

You'll be checking out the trailer for suitability before you rent it of course. But the 1 inch square tube doesn't have to be a problem - for example you may be rolling the machine on pipe rollers to the trailer and the pipe diameters will doubtless exceed one inch so you'd be fine. The bottom of the machine would clear the square tubing, no problem :) I LOVE those drop bed trailers, they are perfect for home machinists that need to move equipment !

I was told that when heavily loaded, they don't roll behind the truck very well at highway speed and that they have a metal lip at the end when the deck is on the ground.

The one we rented pulled fine with about 5000# on board, the load CG setting just forward of the axle C/L . The biggest problem was stopping, I didn't have my electric brake controller in the truck. I had to think ahead a bit, and leave plenty of stopping distance.

The lip of the trailer sat flat on the floor when lowered.

The only issue I had was the pintle ring on the tongue vs a regular ball mount. When I got there to pick it up i was like wth is that!? They tried to charge me to rent the pintle hitch mount but i squaked foul and the guy threw it in w the trailer. Ymmv. just something to enquire about before you show up. They may not all be like that

Back