[How-To] Convex radius cutter to cut small diameter HDPE rod

Serpico1985

Registered
Registered
I have some .092" HDPE bright white rod that I want to embed in steel to make a "whiteball" front sight. The HDPE will be left proud of the front sight and needs to be spherical to aid in light gathering. I'd like the surface finish to be very nice (shinny, smooth) as well.

In working out how to do this I thought of putting a small section of the rod in my Glacern Machine Tool drill chuck and using the mill like a lathe. I'd need a lathe bit that can cut a convex radius on the end of the rod. I was thinkin a 1/16'th would be close enough, held horizontal in my mill vise.

I know you can make your own HSS lathe bits by shaping them by hand but I'd prefer to just by one already in this configuration. I've looked and can't find any.

Can anyone advise where I could find what I'm looking for?

Also, what type of adhesive do you think would work to bond the HDPD to the inside of the front sight? I'd be going for a snug fit plus some sort of adhesive.

Thanks!

You don't need HSS to cut plastic- you could take some soft steel and file it to make the shape you need. Heck, even aluminum might work for a single part
Contact cement/Pliobond might work to bond it- crazy glue won't stick- but you probably knew that
-M

For a different approach, you can get 100 3/32" acetal balls from McMaster Carr for just over $2. Drill a socket and mount on a post.

I have some .092" HDPE bright white rod that I want to embed in steel to make a "whiteball" front sight. The HDPE will be left proud of the front sight and needs to be spherical to aid in light gathering. I'd like the surface finish to be very nice (shinny, smooth) as well.

In working out how to do this I thought of putting a small section of the rod in my Glacern Machine Tool drill chuck and using the mill like a lathe. I'd need a lathe bit that can cut a convex radius on the end of the rod. I was thinkin a 1/16'th would be close enough, held horizontal in my mill vise.

I know you can make your own HSS lathe bits by shaping them by hand but I'd prefer to just by one already in this configuration. I've looked and can't find any.

Can anyone advise where I could find what I'm looking for?

Also, what type of adhesive do you think would work to bond the HDPD to the inside of the front sight? I'd be going for a snug fit plus some sort of adhesive.

Thanks!
If you can get one with the radius you need, a router bit might work.

I also recommend a router bit. For HDPE I would try to find a HSS one rather than carbide.

edit: here's a HSS corner rounding endmill

Back