Converted a grease gun for oil use

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know others have converted a grease gun for oil use (My Index Super 55 mill has grease style zerks for oil on the ways). I had a John Deere brand grease gun that was of pretty good quality and I cleaned all the grease out of it the best I could. I decided that there was a lot more volume in the 11 oz tube than I needed, so I cut the cylinder in half and welded the cap onto the bottom (also welded the plunger hole and vent holes closed). I ran 6 oz of motor oil through it to flush it out and it looks like it'll work great. Since it is held inverted during use, the one-hand model is ideal for this purpose.
oilgun.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

oilgun.jpg

nice work!!
i cheated one time by leaving the paper tube in the barrel and pulling the plunger rod all the out .
then fill the cavity with oil, return the head and pump the grease that remained out until oil flowed...BaddaBing!!
but your idea is much better and cleaner i surmise!!
mike:))

Cool. This is what I need. Anything special that you did to the grease gun? What gun did it start as?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cool. This is what I need. Anything special that you did to the grease gun? What gun did it start as?

The only thing I did was to cut off and weld up the bottom. I've seen others that use the gun as is and make rubber seals for the lower screw-on cap. I wanted a more compact and leak-proof version.

Nothing special about the grease gun. It was a 25 year old John Deere model that my Dad had.

Jack

Thanks for the tip on converting the grease gun. I had one from China and wasn't sure it would push the way oil but I thought I'd give it a shot. I just pulled the plunger rod out, and sawed it off. It appeared the cap on the bottom was liquid tight, so I just cleaned off the paint, ruffed it up with some sand paper and JB welded a small piece of aluminum over the hole. Let it set over night and today I pulled the Y jib and cleaned all the grease off, coated it with way oil and put it back. 1/2 filled my new oil gun with Mobil 2 and hit the zerks with it. Worked great, Thx again.

Back