Conversational CNC Vs. DRO

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Other than moving the table/tooling for you what are the differences in the Trax Age type CNC & DRO? Will the DRO do the math & other functions that the CNC will do?

Oh Steve that pretty much says the whole thing. If you can afford a Trax or similar there's no comparison. Now you have a manual mill and a cnc (2 or 3 axis) in one machine. You only need to see it do a circle or radiused corners on a square once ! My 1st cnc was a Prototrak 2 axis, mounted on a Webb #5 solid head vertical and never regretted it. You can almost I said almost throw your rotary table away. Maybe you should have to lift that 80LB R. T. for a while. Remember you also get power feed with it.
You get old, you get lazy! Just me guys just me !!!
dickr

pocket milling, bolt circles, interpolating holes, line drilling, radius compensation.. much better productivity out of the prototrak mills..

Ok, I'm now seeing this as a stupid question:nuts:

not stupid at all charley, a lot of folks dont take those things into consideration.. prototraks are great machines, I would like to have one to replace my bridgeport, well actually I want a prototrak and a lathe to go along with my bridgeport and my cnc plasma :biggrin: it'll be a while though..

I just watched in amazement the first time i had my cnc mill thread a hole or a shaft. 3 axis working as one to machine a thread from a spinning 60deg thread mill... then the two parts fit each other perfect it just amazes me to watch ( small mind easily entertained:)) )
steve

i use cnc because i'm not a machinist but i can draw pictures
that a kewl idea to hide everything
the machine just moving like a ghost of an old machinist
steve

kewl idea
I'll like to see the outcome
maybe solinoids moving handles as the program starts the on button moves itself :thinking:
steve

I was reading threads again and had something to add in cnc's behalf
my back neck legs and a lot more are shot so for me standing long times and turning cranks wont work anymore.
I'm not a machinist but i love to make things
I can watch a machine run feeling like cr.p and it makes me feel better
and I draw when I'm grounded to the house
so if your wondering how long you will be able to do what you love
taking a look at cnc isnt really a bad idea
oh and for me to hear I'm not sure i can do it then I look at your projects and see what you are doing?? yes maybe years ago but there is too much info everywhere and the cost is so low now unless your the i hate pc guy and you would not be reading this. I think it's worth the look
everyone seems to want to start with a plasma cutter, that makes it a novelty toy unless your welding a lot of things of odd shapes together all the time. you cant cut a ball a contour or even do anything in the z axis at all. If you have mach3 it will take different setups and settings for more than one machine so you build 1 controller have 1 pc and by having plugs on the motor mounted to your machines you can run them all. just unplug from the motors on your mill plug into your lathe open mach3 lathe and start turning balls tapers contours filets concaves and threads
ok i love cnc
steve

Back