[Controversial] Who have you bought machines/tooling from on EBay? How was it?

Thanks for all the opinions....I knew this was going to be a controversial issue when I started it, but, we have to be able to discuss anything and everything about machining together, otherwise, what good is this place, eh? The good thing about our site is we don't have advertisers, so I don't owe anyone anything- we can talk freely about any seller, good or bad.

Just to be clear, what I want to do here is NOT comment on the flaws that Ebay has, which, we all know, it has plenty, but to alert less experienced members of our site who can be trusted and who cannot. Call me a bleeding heart, but if I can save one new person from being screwed by a rogue seller, I feel good about it.

Let me give you an example- wife wanted some plants for her garden, so I get the idea to look on Ebay. Why not? I think to myself. I bid on an azalea bush for her- the photo showed a blooming plant, and the description said it was fragrant. So I bid, ended up paying $20- more than they cost at Home Depot. I get the package, and the "plant" is a dead looking 3 inch long twig with two buds. I planted it in pure blacksoil, and all it has are two tiny leaves after over a month. I gave the seller a negative and she screamed and hollered and wrote me a nasty message, etc. If I could save one person from buying her crap, I would be happy.

Same thing here- we want to list who is naughty and nice. I've made a lot of purchases on Ebay myself, and some I overpaid, and some I did ok. If i had known who the better sellers were, I could have avoided the bad guys. For example, there is a guy, Stolny or something, who sells machinists tools, and he always gets a lot of bids and seems to have good stuff, but it isn't cheap. I personally don't mind paying if I am going to get good stuff. I also see TGTools, who is a frequent poster over at HSM, and wonder how he is to deal with- he sells a lot of parallels and 1-2-3 blocks at what appear to be expensive prices.

Please keep those opinions coming!

Thanks,

Nelson

Nelson,
It is also possible for sellers to get screwed. EBay/PayPal provides no protection for sellers. I now make sure all my sales are insured for more than the sale price, cost of posting and shipping. There are unscrupulous buyers out there too. All they have to do is complain about the sale and not bother to return the product; thereby getting it for free. I learned this the hard way.

Randy

Back