Controlling Stepper Motors

gwarner

Registered
Registered
I have decided my next project is to build a small cnc machine. This is just to be a learning experience for me and I don’t intend to do much with it. I already have some stepper motors but am confused by electronics selections that are available. I know that I need motor controllers and a breakout board to interface with the computer.

There are 4 Axis USB CNC Controller Interface Boards that appear to me to be the same thing.

I only plan on using 3 axis’s.

I really don’t want to get into the whole Arduino route if I can help it. I would like to just hook the motor wires to the controller. Hook the interface to the computer and run linuxcnc and do this a cheap as possible.

For you knowledgeable people who have been down this road already please educate me as to the best route to take. Additionally if there is a great video or web site please share that with me as well.

You should post info about the motors you have, it would make it easier for the guys to point you in the right direction. You will need a driver for each stepper motor and a parallel port interface card to connect between the computer and the drivers. Which drivers depends on what the amperage draw of your steppers is.

I have 4 motors 2 are nema 17 and 2 are nema 23 all say less than 1 amp and 5.6 volts.

Those motors seem a bit light, what kind of a CNC machine are you planning on building?

I personally would steer clear of the USB interface. Many potential problems with noise and communication.
Printer port setup is the cheapest and fewer problems until you go to multiple ports then things can get a bit sticky.
Ethernet is most reliable of the three but also the most expensive.
Many choices.

Ray

Jim, I am making a small cnc. Less than 2 foot square. I will use a Dremel or my roto zip on it. As I stated this is for me to learn on.

Ray, Why stay away from USB, My research shows that the serial interface has speed issues. As you said "many choices" This is the reason for my confusion. Not even sure what parts will work with each other.

I can give no advice on Linuxcnc as I have never used it.
My knowledge is with windows based systems and Mach3 which is free to use up to 500 lines of code per program so you can experiment all you want.
I would start with a old windows desk top computer running XP or Windows 7 that has a built in printer port.
Attach a printer cable to a C10 board ($28). http://cnc4pc.com/c10-bi-directional-parallel-port-interface-card.html
Get the 5volts from the computer power supply to run the C10 or use a separate 5V supply.
C10 is hooked directly to the stepper motor drivers that you need to purchase. There is a wide range of prices for the drives but you may want to consider your future needs if later you want to increase the stepper motor size or build a larger machine. Here is one for $10.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4A-CNC-Sing...134648?hash=item464a5a2db8:g:tpgAAOSwPc9WwaLR

The drives are also available on one board that contains 3 or 4 drives.
You will also need a DC power supply to provide power to the stepper drives. This is one example but there are hundreds to choose from but here also you want to keep your future plans in mind.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC24V-3A-72...341394?hash=item58dfe35bd2:g:~g4AAOSw0RpXlYVq

This is very simplified but will get you going and learning.
There is much to learn and understand that it would be well worth your time to find someone close to you to help out.

Ray

Why stay away from USB, My research shows that the serial interface has speed issues

By the way USB is a serial interface.
Printer port is a parallel interface.
For what you will be doing you won't run in to any speed issues.

Ray

OK, I understand you are going to build a small table top router. Can you post a picture of the data tag on the motors, or a part number?

From the specs you already gave, those still seem a bit light for the task. For a router that size, I'm guessing a NEMA 23 motor, ~1.5 amp, 24v would be in the range you would need.

This might be worth looking at, good pictures anyway. Might give you a few ideas on construction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-3-Axis-...411045?hash=item4b011094a5:g:wlsAAOSwqBJXVp0m

Ray, That information was just the type of advice I was looking for. I placed my order tonight for a breakout board and 3 single axis drivers. I already have power supplies from old computers etc.. that I think I can make work.

Will see how it goes once my parts get here. Thanks to everyone on their input as well.

That link you posted Jim is a strong thing to consider. If I didn't already have pretty much everything here I need to start my build. I would be all over that.
If my plan fails I still might look at that.

Back