Contactor Issue

Ground is only suppose to be tied to neutral at the main panel and should not be used as a return from line. I believe the only exception is a separate shop/building with its own grounding rod, even in that case the return is always neutral. Neutral buss is floating at the sub-panel.

There is something wrong with either your shop wiring or my understanding of how you are describing it. A sub panel is not bonded because you never want an interrupted neutral fault to use the ground circuit as a substitute. The ground circuit in the shop should go all the way to the main breaker panel and be bonded there. A ground rod is not at all a substitute for a dedicated conductor between each machine or load and the main panel bonded ground. This circuit goes through the sub panel without being grounded to the sub panel, the ground buss bar is isolated from the panel and is not bonded. In any case, if there are any 110 loads on a 220 machine, it is best to use 4 wire conductor to have both a ground and a dedicated neutral.

Not a licensed electrician and your code may vary...

Your ground is BAD!

The function of SAFETY ground is to trip the beaker upon a fault

Yours could not pull a coil in.

As stated above, all safety grounds need to be bonded to the neutral at what is called " Meter Ground" or the MPOE, Main Point Of Entry.

Often in a remote or sub panel situation an ADDITIONAL ground rod may be added but this is usually supplemental to add earth connection and not for internal safety bonding.

The PATH for current flow must be back to the meter ground so current through the breaker is adequate to trip the breaker.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back