Considering PM 1228 or 1236 lathes

I originally though I wanted a PM-1030, PM-1127 or PM-1228, but after lots of reading and mind tingling I settled on a PM-1236 with the cast stand. You get a lot more bang for your buck when you step up to a lathe with a foot brake, cast iron stand, light, coolant, auto stop etc. Plus I'm figuring a 2hp 220 volt machine must be better than the 110 volt versions since I mostly work with hard tool steel/drill rods. I've never used variable speed, so I don't know what I'm missing.

Mainly, I did not want to buy too small and want to upgrade too soon. In my small home shop a 12x36 with the gap bed will handle anything I would want to do and then some. I probably could have been happy with the 1127, but the 1236 lets me do more for not much more money. There is a number of lathes that are close in price, the PM-1236 with the preferred package just gave much more for the money. In my case, a 1236 really takes up about the same amount of room as a SB9a and it comes with a warranty. Just be aware, a PM lathe takes time to get. Most of the time is pre-order only.
I followed the same path and made the same decision. Ordered earlier tonight. We shall see how long it takes it to arrive.

Back