Considering Milling Attachment For Hf 7x10 Lathe

solman

Registered
Registered
I noticed that Little machine shop sells a milling attachment for the HF lathe. I was looking at PN 3766. (Not sure how to link.) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? My needs are modest at this time and I was thinking this is a lot more affordable than a milling machine and saves some space on the workbench . The millingmachine I might want is one of the small ones (mini mill) anyway as I don't have room or need for a large machine.

I have no experience with the LMS attachment, but years back before I got my mill/drill, I made a milling attachment for my 7x10. It worked OK for very small milling projects, but the lack of rigidity made it impractical for anything of great size (also, the vise I used was of limited capacity). I believe that the minimill will have considerably more capacity. YMMV

I have one. Used it once. It is very limited and not a very good use of money. Better to save just a bit more and get a mini mill from harbor freight. Using a 25% off coupon when on sale you could spend about $375 or so. With either one you still need end mills and holders or coletts. The mini mill is orders of magnitude better.

Roy

Solman I see that you are a recent member and I hope you continue to join us. I don't have your brand of lathe but I do have and Atlas 618 which shares some characteristics with yours. I did obtain a milling attachment for my 618 and have done some light milling with it. On my set up it requires that I adjust the gibs on the cross slide to tighten them up more than is required for normal lathe work. The work envelope is limited compared with a mini mill. And while I am milling my lathe is out of operation.

if your applications for milling are few and far between, then this could be a good compromise given your limited space. The most important thing in my mind is to make sure that the X, Y &Z travel will accommodate your needs.

David

Back