Considering Buying A Bridgeport Mill

zboss86

Registered
Registered
I'm new to machining.. Just bought a used lathe grizzly 13x40 lathe a couple months back and I'm happy with it it. I just do a little fab work and like to tinker on hot rods, nothing serious...

Just saw a Series 2 Bridgeport Mill for sale locally. The guy said he's known the machine for the last 10 years or so. It was in a factory that got closed down and he bought it at the equipment sale. It's got two power feeds and a 9x42or48" table with some tooling and vice. He said there is some slop in the first 2" inches or so due to the lead screw. He's asking $2K for it.

He said the ways are in good shape. Is the lead screw something that can be redone or replaced to tightened up the machine?

I'll probably pass on it just b/c I still need to do some studying on the types of mills. I don't even know the difference between a series 1,2, or J head... Plus, I'd have to set it aside until I got a phase converter set up.

Last edited:
Don't let the 3phase put you off. A VFD is cheap and pretty simple to set up and install, you will not have much trouble finding an example you can clone.

Sure, buy it. Nobody here is going to recommend letting a piece of iron get away! There are many, "should I buy this machine" threads on this forum. All good comments.
Please post pictures, you'll get more responses. Even from a few photos, people here will be able to tell you quite a bit about the machine.
The machine is not going to be perfect - don't let that scare you. One aspect of this hobby that many enjoy (I enjoy it) is to sort out the issues with a machine, learn about it and end up with a very capable tool, that I would not otherwise be able to afford.

For that price it won't last long. Don't wait, go look at it and if the ways are good grab it.

The slop could be the screw or the lead screw nuts. The nuts are about $50 on EBay. Even if you had to replace the screw, if the rest is in good shape with the 2 power feeds it's a steal.

If it was near me I'd be on the way to get it now. Considering how much Bridgeports usually sell for it will be a long time before you find a deal like that again.

Don't let the 3phase put you off. A VFD is cheap and pretty simple to set up and install, you will not have much trouble finding an example you can clone.
Yeah, I studied 3 phase converters a touch when I was looking for a lathe. I realize I'll pretty much need one for any used bridgeport I buy. So it doesn't deter me any...

Sure, buy it. Nobody here is going to recommend letting a piece of iron get away! There are many, "should I buy this machine" threads on this forum. All good comments.
Please post pictures, you'll get more responses. Even from a few photos, people here will be able to tell you quite a bit about the machine.
The machine is not going to be perfect - don't let that scare you. One aspect of this hobby that many enjoy (I enjoy it) is to sort out the issues with a machine, learn about it and end up with a very capable tool, that I would not otherwise be able to afford.
He doesn't seem to be that knowledgeable about the machine now that I've spoke with him. He knows the lead screw has some slop in it. He said he thought it was a series 2 but said his 3500 lb lift picked it up. I was thinking the series II was between 4-5Klbs Can you guys tell from these pics which machine and what head it has?
9EFF4687-E6B4-4546-9400-3C402AD9B43E_zpsvcqbmsmx.jpg

2F650F7F-713E-44BF-9A2C-2D059813AC48_zpswtaxich5.jpg

For that price it won't last long. Don't wait, go look at it and if the ways are good grab it.

The slop could be the screw or the lead screw nuts. The nuts are about $50 on EBay. Even if you had to replace the screw, if the rest is in good shape with the 2 power feeds it's a steal.

If it was near me I'd be on the way to get it now. Considering how much Bridgeports usually sell for it will be a long time before you find a deal like that again.
I can swing it, but as with most, I try not to strap myself around the holidays... I'd really like to learn a bit more before I buy one.

Last edited:
It's a vari speed head, an older model mill probably from the 70's I'd guess. Has the side door in the column. Pics are pretty dark, but again if the ways look good and everything is there I wouldn't be afraid of it.

I understand the Christmas thing very well. Also understand your wanting to learn more before buying. You can't too wrong buying a Bridgeport if its not a total pile of junk.

It's your decision to make, not ours. If you can swing it then go get it. I've rebuild 2 mills recently, one of them a Bridgeport. Many people here will be more than willing to help you if you do decide to get it.

Either way you go I wish you luck.

Thats a series 1 not a series 2
Based on the door in the column I'd say its early 1970's or older. Not sure exactly the year the doors went away.
Looks like a variable speed too which is nice but if it needs repair could get expensive. If it was a step pulley I'd say too much but $2k for a VS is reasonable as long as the head and ways are in decent shape. All the parts are available to fix it up. You just need to determine the decide if the cost of parts and labor is worth it.

A series II would weigh around 6500 lbs.
Yeah, that's what lead me to believe that it was a series I when he said he picked it up with a 3,000 lb lift... Past that, I know diddly about mills.

Couldn't catch up with him last night and the weather is showing rough weather for the forecast today... December 23rd and 70 degree weather, tornado's and rain. Got to love Mississippi weather.

Back