Considering a Grizzly G0709 14 x 40 Gunsmith Lathe

I have a G0709 and have nothing bad to say about it. It has been a well performing machine, in a "Hobby" environment. That being said, no mater what machine, in this class (Enco, Grizzly, PM), that you buy you've got to understand their limitations. They do not have the rigidity of an "Industrial" machine, and if you intend to use it as a daily producer, I'm not so sure they will hold up. With that in mind you really need to shop for the best post purchase care and support, and long term parts availability, or at least stock up on easily worn out spare parts.

I will be purchasing a new mill after the first of the year, and am looking exclusively at PM for several reasons:

He requests that his machines run through a different assembly/check process than some others do, and he has a pretty good reputation for following through/supporting his products after the sale. There are other intangibles, derived from a few conversations with Matt, but you get the idea.

I just wish I had known about Matt/PM earlier, as I would have probably bought my lathe from him as well.

Bill

Fluted ,

I would love a Nardini . Just havn't found the right one just yet . 'Im in oil field country ( Houston) , so good ones are snapped up pretty fast .

Will your Nardini do Metric threads ........if not , what has be be changed or is it even possible .

Thanks Again

Doug

My Nardini does US (TPI), metric, diametrical, and modular threads. There is two sets of gears with mine. IIRC, Modular and US threads are on one set and Metric and the rest is on the other, but I may be wrong.

PS If you run into a Nardini that has plastic hand wheels, walk away. When they went to plastic hand wheels, the quality of the lathe went down hill. That's a shame.

Last edited:
A Nardini is a totally better lathe,BUT,never buy the blue ones. Only buy the green ones. There are lots of issues with the blue ones that I can't remember reading about. Changes in management or something else might have caused the problems.

ARE the PM lathes ALL made in Taiwan? I'd like to know.

The Grizzlys are made in China except for more expensive models,when there's a large "MADE IN TAIWAN" sign on the page. But,they cost more money. Personally,I'm afraid to invest in a Chinese lathe. They are just too unpredictable in quality. And that remark that "They have to wear in is pure nonsense. Probably the hold downs under the carriage were too tight. That could be fixed. But,if the rack gear was too close to the rack,that would be a LOT more trouble.

Fortunately for me,I bought my 16x40 Grizzly lathe in 1986,when it WAS made in Taiwan.

I read somewhere that parts of the PM lathes are very rough,but can't recall where it was,but it was recently. I don't think those surfaces affected performance,just looks. I went to Grizzly in Pa. in 1986 and picked out TWO 16x40 lathes. Miserable 3 lane highway getting up there. I got one for work and 1 for myself. I think I'd still rather see an expensive lathe in person,and see how smooth it operated before buying it.

Last edited:
I too am wary of Chinese machine tools and personally wouldn't buy one.
Taiwan is a different story altogether and IMO now very near to Japanese machines in quality.

That said, the suggestion of Nardini, or any other industrial quality machine tool is a good one. I have felt, and continue to feel that a guy just gets more machine for the same or less money when he buys machine tools designed and built with the accuracy and longevity of a tool meant to make money in an industrial setting.

For the price of that Grizzly or PM a guy can get an awful lot of machine in the used industrial marketplace.

Here's a nice one I've had my eye on for some time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-x-40-Pol...225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3384f5d031

And another.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-X-40-CLA...423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0fc91617

And another, more expensive but in an altogether higher class than the Grizzly. I'd be willing to bet you could offer him closer to $5000 and get this very high grade lathe. I'd start by offering $3000 though. I've found that eBay sellers often will sell their wares for MUCH less than asking price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cazeneuve-3...371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a3c8f5c3

Last edited:
I like old iron, but should you go that route educate yourself THOUROGHLY first. Please be kind and don't ask me how I know about ripoff artist machinery dealers. I would also throw in that I think a 12 x 36 would serve my needs. It would chuck a .50 BMG barrel between centers were I to use it for gunsmithing. If you are building bigger than that I would like pic's to drool over. When comparing the Griz to thePM I found the PM to have more goodies and a better reputation. It was also just a tad cheaper if memory serves. They also got me a quote head spinning fast. I'm sue they will quote you and try to answer your questions/concerns. I like Grizzly and have a little 8688, but they are kind of big and cold at times. Whatever route you go, best of luck.

I haven't used the lathe but I have a G0704 mill. And it has been great. And Grizzly gustermer service has ben outstanding.

I just discovered this lathe on eBay and I'd be all over it if I had my fire insurance settlement in hand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200995139091?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

This lathe, despite it's looks is an order of magnitude better than anything sold by Grizzly.
Pressurized lubrication of both the headstock and the apron and tailstock from two separate pumps. Vast threading options. fantastic build quality and the cosmetic issues will tend to keep the price down.
I think you could get this lathe shipped to your home and put it perfectly right mechanically for the same price as you'd pay for the Grizzly.

I have the owners manual for these HBX lathes and these are VERY impressive machines.

I really shouldn't be touting these Cazeneuve lathes so much because once people find out how spectacular these lathes are I may be priced out of the market.

That Cazeneuve lathe has several issues: burned out motor and some others. It belongs to Milacron,owner of the PM site. There's a very nice one for $7,000.00 with a conventional tailstock. Milacron says that's why it hasn't sold. The Star wheel tailstock is more desirable.

It is really an exceedingly fine toolroom lathe,and you can buy a manual for it from Tony Griffiths Engineering. Probably will run at least $125.00. He makes excellent quality,well bound reprints of scads of manuals. I have dealt with him.

There is a GREEN Nardini 14x40" lathe,buy it now $3500.00 on Ebay. Missing 2 small handles,easily made. The compound handle is metal. End of the compound is a bit chewed up,but probably not enough to hurt the lathe. These are MUCH nicer lathes than Grizzly. You'd best take a look at it.

As George Wilson wrote, stay away from the blue Nardini lathes. I forgot to mention they changed the color from green (pea soup green actually) to blue when the company changed hands. This is when they went downhill in quality and used plastic handwheels.

Also, please keep in mind that there is no substitute for sheer weight when it comes to a lathe. Cast iron/nodular iron has a tremendous ability to dampen vibration. I don't care how it's cross braced or that the ways are Meehanite, it's the weight of the machine that helps you get a smooth and accurate finish, all other things being equal.

Here's where i got my machines. www.machineryvalues.com The guy I dealt with was Andrew Valitt. Very honest and down to earth. He knocked over $2500 off when I bought two machines, and threw in a Kurt vise for the mill and some CA series Aloris toolholders for the lathe.

Last edited:
Back