Confused about cutting threads on a lathe

I've done it both in 29.9º and 90º with excellent results. I use a robust insert and take .005 per pass. I will add, when teaching someone for the first time, I demonstrate with the compound set to 29.5º.

I remember (its been 16 years since I retired) that there was positive stop on the cross feed, (you screwed in a knob to set it) that would obviate advancing the crossfeed. Is this no longer available? It was great, you got to the end of the thread, backed out the cross feed, returned to the start, ran the cross feed in to the stop, advanced the compound .002 or whatever, and engaged the leadscrew. Repeat until done.
Do lathes no longer have this feature?

I use the xslide to thread and keep track of where I am by always retracting the tool .100" which is one full turn on my handwheel and also on the DI connected to my slide. If I make a cut at .030 I retract the tool out to the next .030. For the next cut I go back in to .030 plus my next incremental DOC which would bring me to .035 for a typical .005 cut until I get close. My last cut is always right there under my nose.

Back