Confessions From A Tool Junkie...i had to say no to a tool, and i feel remorse and shame....

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i had to pass on a beautiful le blond metal lathe i saw on CL.....
the remorse comes from the price, the seller wants only 900 for it, money is not the issue.
the shame part comes from ,i don't have a place large enough to house this 9 ft long behemoth .
he wanted to help me load it, and date his daughter..ok i made up the daughter part:lmao:
please, will someone tell me i did the right thing by passing on a great deal, i need reassurance and a little wind under my kilt to brighten me spirits, as it were......

What year, model and size was it? Condition? After that, I'll render a thought...

Ray

If you don't have a place to set it up, there is no point in having it. Let somebody who can set it up get use out of it. Nothing sadder than a tool setting outside rusting away.......

If you don't have a place to set it up, there is no point in having it. Let somebody who can set it up get use out of it. Nothing sadder than a tool setting outside rusting away.......

thanks i needed that...
i didn't sleep much last night trying to figure a way to stuff 10 lbs of stuff into a 5 lb bag, i don't think it's happening....
i didn't take it precisely because i didn't want the old girl to rust up outside.

i feel better now!
thank you!!!!:))

I once got a sweet deal on a Wilton 9" X 14" horizontal band saw. I got it home, cleaned up and working good and stuffed it in my little shop. I even put it on castors to move it out of the way when not in use, but it was just so big it overwhelmed my shop. I was to the point where I was contemplating adding on to the shop to accommodate the saw, when common sense finally took hold. I ended up trading it for a 9 mm Beretta Stainless Steel pistol, and I bought a Milwaukee porta band saw. It was nice, but it was much more machine than I need.

are you out of your mind!
oh, i guess thats not helping you
hahaha
steve

I had to read this thread 'cause it described me in the title, "tool junkie" (I wonder if there's a 12 step program for that). I'm presently moving out of my old shop & moving into another one. Though it's a nicer shop, I don't have as much room for all my tools. Since my present job doesn't leave me much time to take in jobs to help pay the rent, The place almost feels like an open wound to my finances. Which leads me to thinkinking, "do I own my stuff or does my stuff own me". I don't know if that has anything to do with what we're talking about, but I do understand your mental troubles Mike.
Thanks for sharing,
Todd K.

Passing on the machines that won't work for us leaves room for the ones that WILL.

Coming from a tool junkie as well hah

Bernie

Back