Complete Newbie - Bridgeport 2J (Adcock-Shipley) - Wiring Questions

Nick Hacking

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Dear All,

I have recently acquired a milling machine: it's a Bridgeport with a 2J head, made under licence by Adcock and Shipley in the UK. I'd be grateful for any and all information that you might be able to offer.

My first problem is to work out how to wire it up. I think I can trace out the wiring myself but help would be much appreciated.

The serial number is JB34020. The motor is 3-phase, 2-HP, rated for 380 to 420 V.
It has a power feed on the table. With the help of the internet I've managed to identify this as an Align CE-500P. It has a coolant pump. It's also been fitted with a Mitutoyo 2-axis DRO but I'm ignoring that for now as it doesn't interconnect with the electrics (apart from drawing power).

The front control panel contains a number of switches which look fairly straightforward but, for reasons that I haven't yet fathomed, inside the panel are some transformers.

There is a box of electrical gizmos on the right side of the machine which is going to take a lot of figuring out. I've discovered that one of the components is a Crompton CC0910 switching unit, sitting on a CR09/1.6 thermal cut-out. There are two transformers and handful of (?switching relays?) that I have yet to come to grips with.

I'll see if I can post some pictures...Head Plate.jpg Motor Plate.jpg Head Plate.jpg Motor Plate.jpg Name Plate.jpg Align (Bestline) CE-500P.jpg

This is the same, but with annotations:Electrics R Annotated.jpg

A) is the main cable duct that runs forards, to the front control panel
B) is a screened cable that contains four black wires and an earth - it doesn't currently connect to anything (could this be the 3-phase supply?)
C) is the On-Off switch
D) is a transformer
E) is the cable duct that runs to the power feed
F) is the Crompton switching unit and thermal cut-out
G) appears to be a 3-phase circuit breaker
H) is another transformer
K1 to K3 and M1 to M3 I'm a little unsure about
N) is the 3-phase power socket for the motor
P) is another 3-phase power socket. It doesn't seem to be used.

So - where do I start? Does any of this look familiar to anyone?

Kind wishes,

Nick

Hi Nick,
i can illuminate a bit,

B) yes, the 4 black wires/earth are the input supply- if there are no other cables coming from the mill.

M1,M2,M3 are current overload devices, they open the supply circuit to the intended motor should there be an overcurrent situation or fault
K1,K2,K3, F are magnetic contactors. they switch main power to operate the motors

you'll need 3 phase supply to hook it up, or you'll need an RPC
if you have 3 phase supply, hook it up and ground the unit.
you can test rotation by depressing the center moveable portion of K1 , with an non conductive device like a dowel, popsicle stick, tongue depressor, etc
if everything is right a motor will operate, eventually you'll reach the spindle motor
repeat for K2, K3

when you get to the spindle motor, it should turn Clockwise in the forward control position.
if the motor goes in reverse in the forward control position, simply reverse 2 of the 4 Black input supply wires and the direction of the motor will now be reversed

for your safety and longevity, i would suggest doing some reading on control systems and 3 phase distribution so that you would have a better grasp of what you are attempting to repair.
i can't emphasize enough that you can hurt or kill yourself if you become part of a 400 volt circuit looking for earth
i'm happy to help out where i can
all the best,
mike:)

I don't know if it helps, but from Lathes.co.uk I've found that the machine serial number is inside the side-door.
The Adcock & Shipley numbers are:
Serial: 4800G
Order: 32915 5-67

So, I surmise, it was built in May 1967 and the power-feed is a much later add-on.

Hi Nick,
i can illuminate a bit,

B) yes, the 4 black wires/earth are the input supply- if there are no other cables coming from the mill.

M1,M2,M3 are current overload devices, they open the supply circuit to the intended motor should there be an overcurrent situation or fault
K1,K2,K3, F are magnetic contactors. they switch main power to operate the motors

you'll need 3 phase supply to hook it up, or you'll need an RPC
if you have 3 phase supply, hook it up and ground the unit.
you can test rotation by depressing the center moveable portion of K1 , with an non conductive device like a dowel, popsicle stick, tongue depressor, etc
if everything is right a motor will operate, eventually you'll reach the spindle motor
repeat for K2, K3

when you get to the spindle motor, it should turn Clockwise in the forward control position.
if the motor goes in reverse in the forward control position, simply reverse 2 of the 4 Black input supply wires and the direction of the motor will now be reversed

for your safety and longevity, i would suggest doing some reading on control systems and 3 phase distribution so that you would have a better grasp of what you are attempting to repair.
i can't emphasize enough that you can hurt or kill yourself if you become part of a 400 volt circuit looking for earth
i'm happy to help out where i can
all the best,
mike:)

Mike, that's brilliant, thanks.
I'm sorry, I posted the bit about the serial numbers before I read your post.

If I never post again, it's probably because I ignored your good advice :)

Kind wishes,

Nick

... Further to Mike's information:

it looks like M1/K1 protect the main motor,

M2/K2 control the (unused) auxiliary socket,

M3/K3 must be for the coolant pump,

The Crompton unit has been added on for the table feed motor.

I *do* have three phase, but at the moment it isn't connected and doesn't go to my workshop, so I was going to use a VFD to step up from 240 V AC (1 phase) to 415 (3 phase) Can I anticipate any problems with this?

Kind wishes,

Nick

i think you may have a problem going from 240 single phase to 415 three phase with a VFD
you most likely will need an RPC and to add either a three phase transformer or 3 step up transformers to get your 415v
unless there is a VFD that does that- if so LMK, i'd buy many in a second

Back