Colorizing metal by chemical means.

xalky

Registered
Registered

1. xalky - 03-09-13, 11:43 AM
    Guys , I've started to make some art cut outs on my cnc plasma table and i came across a lot of info for cold and heat applied chemical methods of colorizing primarily steel, but theres also a lot of stuff out there for brass bronze and copper. The methods I've researched require no electricity but some do require heat.

Here's a picture of an Eagle that i made which is sort of copper plated and then darkened in areas for highlights. You just spray it on and hose it off.

1dc89414-a2e6-410c-bcec-1cd72f165f60_zps12efd820.jpg
    Edit Report IP
  2. xalky - 03-09-13, 05:26 PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJjGVQQZVg So here's a video of how to do it. I've bought stuff from this guy that made the video, but then through much research, i figured out how to make a lot of the chemicals myself because I'm cheap that way and i enjoy the challenge. ;)
    Edit Report IP
  3. eac67gt - 03-09-13, 05:37 PM
    Cool! That is a really nice job! Love the finish. Thanks.
    Ed​
    Edit Report IP
  4. cwlewis123 - 03-09-13, 10:11 PM
    Hi xalky, Would you care to share some of the chemicals you use? I have been searching the net for 2 months trying to find ways to color steel without buying anything. Plenty of stuff for copper and brass but not steel. Any information would be helpful. By the way, I love the eagle!
    Wayne​
    Edit Report IP
  5. JT. - 03-10-13, 12:55 AM
    very nice like the colors also​
    Edit Report IP
  6. xalky - 03-10-13, 06:28 PM
    I start with the copper base. I make a solution of copper sulphate and water with a little battery acid. To 1 gallon of distilled water add 1 once copper sulphate and 1-2 onces clean battery acid. Copper sulphate is sold as stump remover, but it's illegal in some states, you can buy it online at amazon.com. Battery acid can be had at most auto parts stores.. The copper looks best when the steel has been sanded smooth. The part must also be degreased. If the part is sand blasted it'll look dull. The copper deposition is very thin. Actually, the thinner it is the better it looks. The ingredients are dirt cheap.

I've also made a torch effect solution. This solution when sprayed on the copper will give a rainbow effect, but this one was very difficult and dangerous to make. I don't think I'd reccomend to anyone to make this one as it uses selenious acid which is very toxic. But there's an easier way that i learned later, it still involves selenious acid, but the acid is already made. First time, I actually made the selenious acid by reacting selenium metal with nitric acid. I don't reccomend it unless you have a quality chemistry setup and a draft hood.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gary; I have an itch to do some metal art. I have my CNC plasma table ready to go, but rather than just cutting out 2D pieces , I'd like to create some 3D sculptures by combining the plasma cutouts with some welding and perhaps shaping the 2D cutouts by pounding them into curved shapes to create some unique sculptures.

Then using what I've learned with the Patinas to give them color and more dimension. It's all just a an idea that I'm working on right now but definitely something that i want to pursue. I got most of the metal working tools with the exception of some sheet metal forming stuff. But really what do i need for that... some hammers (which I have) and imagination (I'm working on that part, looking for inspiration). :thinking:

Here's another one that I made for my wife for her woman cave. Shes gonna make a family tree out of it. The pictures just don't do the colors justice. But you can see the colors better on the right side of the tree.

20130317_152233_zpsb792a636.jpg

Thanks Gary; I have an itch to do some metal art. I have my CNC plasma table ready to go, but rather than just cutting out 2D pieces , I'd like to create some 3D sculptures by combining the plasma cutouts with some welding and perhaps shaping the 2D cutouts by pounding them into curved shapes to create some unique sculptures.

Then using what I've learned with the Patinas to give them color and more dimension. It's all just a an idea that I'm working on right now but definitely something that i want to pursue. I got most of the metal working tools with the exception of some sheet metal forming stuff. But really what do i need for that... some hammers (which I have) and imagination (I'm working on that part, looking for inspiration). :thinking:

You could make some oak dies and use a H frame to press form 3d parts for the gauge you are using. Very low cost, fast and they come out the same.

Another great looking job xalky!!!
Does the tree grow money? :rofl: I'm still trying to find that money tree everyone talks about. :nuts:

Have a great day!

Ed

hi,jewelry concepts and technology by oppi untracht has stuff about patinas. also try hydraulic die forming for 3d effects and real 3d shapes. my press is good for small sculpture.about 14"by 14" made of 1"steel using 4 pieces of 1" threadall i use a 20ton hydraulic jack as the power source.i use differant strenghs of rubber sheet to force the material to conform to the die. some of the dies are made from liquid steel some are machined.steve

Back