Collets????

pipehack

Active User
Registered
I know I've been asking a lot of newbie question. From what I've read collets have way more precision than regular chucks. Anyone ever use this company and if I'm reading this right these collets will work on my Cman 6" lathe as the headstock has a mt2 taper. The price seems right although the largest size isn't all that big.

http://cdcotools.com/

So if I'm not mistaken there's an adaptor that works with an mt2 taper and the collets.?? Anyone have suggestions? Money is an object for the most part. Wife, 3 Daughters and college tuition. You guys know what I'm talking about.

CDCO is also Shars and does offer a good bit of nicely priced items. Some of their stuff is kind of rough sometimes and not top of the line accuracy wise, but they do offer a lower price alternative for those of us who can afford the time to send something back if need be. They do seem to ship pretty quick, but watch their freight because I have seen them sell stuff at auction and then pop some serious shipping and handling charges on that made the whole deal sour. Nothing sucks worse than getting a tool at a bargain price only to find out the discount and then some was eaten up in trumped up excess freight charges. I just saw that on an Item I was following in Ebay. A set of dividing plates for 31 bucks, but the wanted 40.00 dollars for freight and claimed it was a three day delivery from India. I know better and called them out on it to see what they have to say about it in the open. It would have definitely fit in a small bulk rate post box for 4 bucks.... Just sayin....

Bob

Those collets (the more taper type) fit directly in the spindle taper. The drilled and tapped to accept a drawbar (which you will probably have build yourself). I would also recommend getting some anti-seize lubricant to put on the outside of the taper and the drawbar threads. Don't tighten the drawbar too tight; morse tapers lock in pretty hard, and if you crank down too hard, you are really going to have to beat on the collet to get it out (which isn't great for your spindle bearings).

The reason the max size on the mt2 collets is so small is that mt2 itself is pretty small. I think that these are mostly used for holding endmills when milling on the lathe, or for mills that have a morse taper spindle. There is no real reason they could not be used for workholding though.

There are other types that can be used. One popular solution is to get a ER collet holder with an mt2 shank. This is a more expensive solution, but collets are available in a greater range.

As far as accuracy, they are neither more or less accurate than a chuck (in general), but they do have their uses. In general (of course, it depends on the relative quality of the tooling), they have a lower TIR (Total Indicator Runout) than a 3 jaw chuck. They also tend to have good repeatability (they clamp the same way every time). Another benefit is that they do not tend to mar the work because the clamping load is distributed evenly. Disadvantages are they they tend to be more expensive, and some (like mt2, 5c, R-8) have a relatively small clamping range, so you need a lot of them to handle a wide range of stock. The place where collets excel is when you are making a bunch of things of the same size, and you are using reasonably accurate stock. They are used in production quite frequently in turret lathes.

Perhaps the most accurate methods are turning between centers, and 4 jaw independent chucks. 4 jaw chucks are more time consuming to use because each part must be "dialed" in with an indicator to center it. You can achieve arbitrary levels of accuracy though (limited only by your measurement equipment and patience). To avoid marring the work, copper or aluminum shims are often placed between the jaws and the part.

Last edited:
The issue with using Morse taper collets is that you do not have the ability to pass stock through the spindle. I have a set of 3at collets for my 10" Atlas that uses a drawtube to tighten and allows up to 1/2" pass through. I don't think there is a similar set for the 6" atlas, but you could make or buy a collet chuck that mounts to the spindle and tightens with a nut on the front. I think these are usually ER collets, but others may be available. There is a guy called doubleboost on youtube that has a series of videos with how he made his. Alternatively there is this company that makes them in a few different spindle threads http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php. Their system seems marketed towards wood working, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for metal.

CDCO is also Shars and does offer a good bit of nicely priced items.

I've used PhaseII+ collets and have good luck with them. They aren't as $$ as Bison or other top names and seem to be good enough for the home machinist from everything I've read about them... which is why I bought a set from them. :)

BTW, CDCO is Shars? I've never heard that before and I wonder if it's true. I've heard pretty much all good about Shars and the complete opposite about CDCO.

Clicking on the link brings up the home page of CDOC. Not sure if you are talking about the mt2 collets themselves or the set that includes and mt2 collet chuck.
I have lots of collets from CDOC (5c & R8) and they work great. The guy I bought my mill from had a set of american made R8 collets with it he was quite proud of and I got them with the mill. Several had .003 tir.....my CDOC ones had .0004....maybe I just got lucky.

I would lean towards the set with the collet chuck. I have a set (fits my tailstock) they are ER16.

I don't believe you're gonna pass stock through either style(drawbar threads into end 1/2 x13) doesn't say on the mt2's what thread ....must be close to the same.
ER style have a better grip range also.

I haven't used or seen the 5c chuck that the sell but have been warned that it is no good(inacuarate).

Hey Splat- CDCO and Shars are not the same. I have ordered from both.

Pipehack, I have the MT2 collets in the Atlas 618 you have. I wasn't getting rid of them yet, since I have a lot of MT2 machines around me here.

I did find them very helpful on the Atlas. They are not "through spindle", meaning you get as much stock as will fit to the bottom of the collet.

I made a drawbar out of a nice bolt, which I can share the specs if you need them. I machined a nice handwheel to mate with the bolt, and a nice bushing to center the handle in the back of the spindle and voila!

I both mounted stock in the lathe and mounted a mill for VERY light milling in the milling attachment on the compound.

Bernie

Pipehack,

You could what myself and others have done, and make a spindle mounted collet holder. This will attach directly do your spindle and allow the work to pass through the collet and through your spindle, as well, up to the size allowed by your spindle. So really then, the matter is which collet set suits you, though I don't believe the R8 type would work, but I've not actually laid eyes on them so I can't say for certain. Machine one end of an appropriately sized round to fit your spindle, then the other to match the collet holder of the set you choose. Use the nut that comes with the set, or make one of those too. I quite enjoyed the process of making mine, the minor frustrations I had in the beginning notwithstanding.

Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to include a sample.
DSCN0517.JPG

And if I had my choice, I'd have gone with hex stock instead of round, but round is what I had available.

DSCN0517.JPG

I agree, make your own ER chuck, not difficult at all, even the nut (can be made without the snap ring)

ctctools.biz has a FULL ER25 set for $37, you can request surface (SLOW) shipping for about 1/2 the cost, especially useful for ER32/40 as the shipping is quite high

I've made a hollow draw bar for mt3 collets but its very limited in size of stock you can pass through, it has about an 8.5mm hole through it. I use it for center drilling small diameter stock that i'm turning between centers as my lathe chuck is bolt on and a bit of a pita to mount and remove.

The er collet holders that go into an mt3 taper have the issue that you cant pass stock through as has been said. I have one that i use in my mill that is awsome for holding tools.

The morse collets are very limited in range of holding i only have 4,6,8,10,12 and 16mm morse collets and the lack of inbetween sizes was a major factor in getting the er32 collets.

Stuart

Back