Collets for Jet 1236 PS

jaybeckham

Registered
Registered
I want to use collets on this lathe. Is there an inexpensive collet holder available? So far I have looked at a number of suppliers and found nothing under $300.

Thanks

do you know what size and type of collets you are going to be using?
there are a few choices for example,
5C- very common , you'll need a collet for every size of work you'll be turning. you will need an adapter and hollow drawbar for your spindle , a Collet Chuck, or a Collet Closer arrangement.

ER series(16,20,32,40), ER's are becoming more common.
they consist of a specially designed holder that goes into the spindle of the lathe that is retained by a solid drawbar . One adapter is capable of holding the range of ER series collets in that series,
(IE -a ER16 collet is not interchangeable with a ER32 collet and vice versa)

ER's are nice but there is a notable shortcoming, you can't pass long pieces through a ER collet.
you are limited by the holder's depth clearance, whereas 5C's can usually pass fairly large stock directly through the collet for faster production

Last edited:
For smaller pieces I use ER20 collet chucks. I have a Tormach and their TTS tool holding system which works great but I also use it for holding small workpieces on the lathe. They have a 3/4" shank and will accept up 13mm collets. There is now also an ER32 chuck available which takes collets up to 20mm.

Darkon in Nanaimo, Canada British Columbia, , sells the ER20 collet chucks for $41 singly and as little as $30 ea. in 20 packs. The ER32 chucks are $56 ea. Tormach in Waunakee, WI sells the individual ER chucks for for $35 ea. ER collet are readily available for good prices on eBay.

I use the chucks in the 3 jaw on my G0602 lathe and currently have about a thousandth runout. I am looking for a 3/4" M4 collet which should improve runout.

FYI, the ER chucks also work well with any mill to set up a quick change tool system. Tormach sells an 3/4" R8 collet for their TTS. I bought a Crawford 3/4" R8 collet (because of better stated runout spec.) and ground the face down so the tool holder seats on the spindle.

I had figured on 5C collets. But that appears the expensive way. Maybe I need to look at the ER series. My head has a 8 tpi thread on a 2+" diameter I believe. If something would just screw on there and hold collets it would be great. The biggest thing I need to turn using collets is likely in the 3/4 inch diameter. Anything bigger I can use my 3 jaw chuck.

So if I am interested in ER where do I look? Enco, MSC, Grizzley?

So if I am interested in ER where do I look? Enco, MSC, Grizzley?

If you want name brand quality collets & don't care about costs then, yes, Enco & MSC will do. Some of those brands are Rego Fix (developers of ER collets), Lyndex, UltraDex, ETM, Bison, etc.

I use Techniks collets, made in Taiwan, best quality for the buck. Maritool also makes nice collets & in oversized sizes also, made in USA I believe (unless that has changed). If price is more important, check ebay, lots of ebay sellers offering China full collet sets.

As for ER chucks, there are no bolt on solutiuons as ER collets collets were designed for tool holding & not work holding. Cheapest & easiest route is to go with a morse taper collet chuck to fit your spindle. However they won't have a through hole.

I would opt to make you your own or get one of the ER plates from tools4cheap.net & mount to your own adapter. That's what I did.

Img_9141.jpg

OK

Let's try a different approach. First money does matter as this is a hobby. So cheap is good.

However, as I understand it ER were not designed for turning. When I purchased this lathe many years ago I made sure it was big enough for 5C collets. So let's explore that avenue. Given my head has the big 8 pti thread and I think a M2 taper, how can I use 5C without breaking the bank?

Thanks again

G'Day Fellas,
I went down the same road as Darkzero as I already had ER32 collets for my mill, I got lucky with a used backplate for $20 on local fleabay, a quick easy solution and I have been completely happy with this setup,
Regards,
Martin

cc1.JPG

Grizzly used to make a spindle adapter for the 5C set up, i'm having a hard time finding the part number...but it fit's right into the spindle and you use a tube type drawbar.
i'll see if i can find the part #

I found it!!!
P4026001

I found it on Grizzly. I can order it, but I need other parts to make it work. Can you explain what I need?

Thanks

After looking at the Grizzly site I may have a method. Get the collet adapter AND get the draw tube. I assume the draw tube has the proper threads to fit the outside threads on the 5C collet. Then create a washer and a nut to fit on the other end of the draw tube to tighten the collet on the other end.

One thing I didn't see was the taper on the collet adapter. Will it fit the Jet 1236 PS I have?

Thanks again

Back