1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

[How do I?] Cold air -vs- droplet/fogless -vs- Flood Application.

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by countryguy, Apr 23, 2017.

1. countryguy

countryguy United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Fenton
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I cannot seem to make up my mind on what I want to replace the Mister (fogger) I have now. Of the 3 systems on the title, which is used when? I see this 'chilly-bits' and cold air getting good reviews.

which should I run when milling w/ HSS no coatings on Aluminum? Seems like fogless on this one.
    which should I run when milling w/ HSS , coated, on Aluminum? Cold air sees Ok here?
    Lately I run a lot of cobalt tooling and seem to buy that over HSS if offered for a few bucks .

Steel- Coolant or air? both? ;-)
    Anyway, Just wondering what other CNC'ers do. of late, mostly aluminum work.

Have a great week everyone.
    CG.

2. Zamfir

Zamfir United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Windsor
    State:
    Colorado

-Return to Top-

Great question! I wish I knew the answer. I am with you on wanting to hear opinions.

I have all cool mist or noga mist systems. They cool great and blow the hell outta chips running 80 psi. It does make quite a fog in my garage after a time. I do use the additives to help against rusting.

Curious,
    Why are you wanting to switch up from the mist type system?

Thanks!

Eric

3. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I have both flood & mist. I use flood coolant for most work. I have good volume and pressure to evacuate chips from the cut / cutter so this is preferable to me despite the extra maintenance work coolant requires. On jobs that are drilling only or if I need to keep the enclosure doors open I use the no-mist system.

4. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I use my fogless for almost everything. Kerosene coolant with a good air flow, about a half cup per hour for aluminum, a little less for most ferrous materials, a little more for stainless. Air only for UHMW, kerosene for PVC and acrylic. Dawn detergent and water in a spray bottle for polycarbonate.

The secret to fogless is to not atomize the spray, but rather keep it as small droplets.