Colchester Triumph 1958 Restoration

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy :oops: On mine, there is much difference between the various speeds, mine is a 16 speed with high and low motor speed.
If I choose highest speed, it runs 600/1200 rpm and dont make more noise than you should expect from straight cut gears, some of the lower speeds make some more noise, and I have been toying with the idea of a chain driven headstock and VFR, but keeping the high/low speed selector at the front of the headstock.

Well, I went and heard it run, and it wasn't all that noisy from what I could tell. Watched the current owner hog into a piece of mild steel with it and he said he had been running it for about 15 years. He also said as long as he has owned it, it takes about 10+ tries to get the machine to shift in to high range using the range lever. I messed with it and it is super sloppy. I'm guessing that some teeth are stripped on the sliding gear or something else is up. He said he doesn't use the high speed setting often so he never took the cover off of it. I decided to put a deposit on it. I figure I saw the machine run, it seems really tight, and came with 3 chucks, and some live centers, drill chucks, etc so the L1 chuck with the plates were worth what I paid for it based on what I see them selling on Ebay. I have to wait to go pick it up. I took some pieces and parts from it with me and left a deposit. I just placed my order for a 4KW 230 single phase to 3 phase VFD. I am running one on my Bridgeport and it works great. I know one thing, this is one heck of a machine in comparison to my little Atlas, which I sold today as well.

I'll be bugging you with some technical questions for sure. I am using the same TouchDRO setup as you on my Bridgeport so I am probably going to be a copy-cat and install it like you did on this machine once I get it all in place and setup.

Thanks again for all your help so far on this process! Seems these machines aren't all that abundant. I also found on Ebay, a copy of a 7-1/2 owners manual, so that is on its way from England currently.

Congratulations on your purchase, you are most welcome to ask as much as you wish, but it comes at a price! You have to take lots of pics when you collect it and bring it home. I am lucky enough to live in an area of the world where 3 phase 400v power is standard in all houses, so no problems running that sort of machinery.

Congratulations on your purchase, you are most welcome to ask as much as you wish, but it comes at a price! You have to take lots of pics when you collect it and bring it home. I am lucky enough to live in an area of the world where 3 phase 400v power is standard in all houses, so no problems running that sort of machinery.

Thank you very much, I'll drop one photo here and then start a new thread when I go to retrieve it; may be a bit yet as he has to have some other machines sold in the meantime as this thing is buried in his shop.

IMG_20161119_192148_zpskdg3at1o.jpg

Back