Colchester lathe user ? Help needed for a metric colchester student lathe please!

fluff34567

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

A friend bought a colchester student lathe mk 1.5 , about 5 years ago from a factory closing down sale and it's been sitting unused ever since. I'm trying to get it working again but I last used a lathe about 30 years ago so bit of a challenge!

I have worked out all the spindle speed selection , motor forward/ reverse , the safety / brake lever but despite everything i can't get the feed shaft or lead screw to engage.

I'm moving the lever on the most left A which I believe should engage the lower section of gearbox and have also tried the small levers on the lower section B and C which should engage the thread cutting and feed shaft but no joy.

The joystick C is extremely loose so I think something isn't right and lever A is engaging something but feels like just barely but again it's very loose. I don't know if a loose selection is normal on this unit.

Can someone tell me what to do?

Thanks !!!

Attachments

• 20231017_172746.jpg
    20231017_172746.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231017_172754.jpg
    20231017_172754.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 20
Every control has some function on the lathe. A little trial and error will give you the
answer if you persevere. If that does not help, some disassembly might be needed to figure it out.

Welcome to the forums. I am attaching the manual and it looks like it is for yours. If not, check Vintage Machinery. They might have it. There should be a few safeties in place that could be your problem. There should also be a shear pin that protects the leadscrew. It's easy to get to. Refer to the last paragraph on page 17 of the attached pdf user's manual. It sounds like you might have to dive into the head and or gearbox. There are snap rings that hold the shafts/gear assemblies in place. There are also bronze guides that ride on the levers with the other ends riding in the channels on sheaves(?) that move the gears left and right on the shafts. Forgive my ignorance to the correct names of the parts. I attached photos of the A-D selector and then the backside of it showing the bronze guides. Note the wear on the one I'm pointing at. The attached pdf has exploded diagrams in the back with parts lists.

I have a Master 6.5 which is similar to your Student. Mine is apart now so I am attaching photos of the guts you are interested in. I'm not taking out spindle or disassembling the head any further so pictures of the feed reversing mechanism might not be much help. In the pictures looking down toward the spindle show my flashlight. It is illuminating the mechanism to your lever A. I am also attaching a pdf for the Student manual if you don't already have it. Best of luck, and let us know what you find.

Here is a link to a Colchester forum I found quite helpful:

Attachments

• A-D Selector.jpg
    A-D Selector.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Apron.jpeg
    Apron.jpeg
    456.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Closeup Reversing Mechanism.jpg
    Closeup Reversing Mechanism.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Looking Down Head.jpg
    Looking Down Head.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Overall Looking Down Into Head.jpg
    Overall Looking Down Into Head.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Looking Down at Cone Gears.jpeg
    Looking Down at Cone Gears.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 5
  • Looking Down Into Gearbox.jpeg
    Looking Down Into Gearbox.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Head Open Gearbox.jpeg
    Head Open Gearbox.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Head & Gearbox.jpeg
    Head & Gearbox.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Colchester Student - Instruction and Spare Parts Manual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 2
  • A-D Bronze Guide.jpg
    A-D Bronze Guide.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 8
Does it have change gears for threading? If the change gears are not in place on the end of the lathe. This will prevent the leadscrew from turning. There is also a shear pin where the leadscrew goes into the headstock, but I am not sure on this model
Martin

Hello all, I found some gears in the tooling cabinet which I thought was a bit strange but as it came with loads of other stuff I didn't think more of it.

I guess uts a case of taking the cover off and looking inside !

Martin and Gaffer- thank you so much for the infos. I will get the user manual translated for my friend.

I tried all combinations of levers but the shaft doesn't turn so something going on for sure

I keep you updated.

Back