• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Code Name : Operation Spanner Wrench- 5c Collet Block

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i purchased a set of inexpensive collet block's from all-industrial tool supply for use in my lathe and milling machines.
they were shipped fast and are very nicely finished, better than i thought i might get for the price.

i don't have any connection to the company, but i had a good experience and thought i'd say something about it.

the set came with 2 spanner nuts and a lever/cam closer, but didn't include the spanner wrench.
(the wrench was not pictured in the ebay store nor was reference made to the spanner wrench in the ebay store)
i didn't consider the wrench to be a deal breaker, the overall cost was under $50 shipped- i let it go.

my decision worked out for awhile, i used the lever/cam closer and was happy as a clam.
then i wanted to hold some 1" stock that was slightly under 1", .988" to be exact.
but there's another hitch, i needed a longer piece to pass through the collet and block for milling in the vise.
i figured i'd spring the 1" 5C collet a little and grip the material,
i didn't have the spanner.
so my project was to make a spanner.

i had some 2-1/2" 1018, and some 5/8 rod and some rod material for the pins
it was just as simple to make 2 at the same time, so i did! :grin:

FullSizeRender_1_7.jpg IMG_2881.JPG

i punched the center out to 1" and finished bored to 1.70" with a freshly resharpened cemented carbide boring bar

:grin: boring.jpg IMG_2882.JPG

i cut the ring in half and shortened the halves by gang milling in the vertical mill

i had some 5/8" 304 shafting reclaimed from a machine,

FullSizeRender_2_1.jpg

and a piece of 5/8 hot rolled unknowinium- that didn't want to machine very well with carbide, so i switched to HSS
and it machined a bit better but was some pretty tough stuff

i made some pins from some hot rolled 3/16" stock and cut them at .345" long

FullSizeRender_2_3.jpg

i center drilled and tapped the newly formed handles to 1/4"-20, and drilled and tapped the wrench head to attach the handles

FullSizeRender_3_1.jpg

i drilled the pin holes undersize and reamed to .1870"- the pin has a light press fit.

i cut 1/4"-20 all thread studs and attached the wrench heads to the handles and used red locktite to bind the heads to the handles
and made final assessments
wrench.jpg
i swept the angle of the handle away from the flat plane to potentially save a knuckle or 2 :cussing:

FullSizeRender_4_3.jpg
they passed inspection :cool 2:
i took one for a test ride....
and the final shot
FullSizeRender_3_3.jpg
now i can go back and attempt to finish the project i originally set out to do.
it never seems to end. :grin:
make something to make something else work , or otherwise take another step forward on another project!

thanks for reading!!!

Last edited:

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
now i can go back and attempt to finish the project i originally set out to do.
it never seems to end. :grin:
make something to make something else work , or otherwise take another step forward on another project!
Yup, build the tool, to build the tool, to build the tool................ad infinitum. :grin: Looks good Mike.:encourage:

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
:cheer::cheer: Well done.

For a long time I had to use hacksaws, grinders, files, and hammers to make tools. I can now make proper tools the proper way. :encourage:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Yup, build the tool, to build the tool, to build the tool................ad infinitum. :grin: Looks good Mike.:encourage:
Thank you very much Jim!
i'd complain if it wasn't so much fun!!! :big grin:
:cheer::cheer: Well done.
For a long time I had to use hacksaws, grinders, files, and hammers to make tools. I can now make proper tools the proper way. :encourage:
Thank you Randy!!
i agree, i have made many tools in the field without the luxury of machine tools. Right Now is the battle cry
it sure is nice to have machines to create!!!

talvare

Ted A
Nice job Mike. I had the same situation with my collet blocks as well (can't figure out why they sell those sets without a spanner wrench), but I was lazier than you. It took me about 5 years of wrestling with them before I finally got off my butt and made a spanner wrench. It seems that when I have a tool or piece of equipment that needs some attention, I never think about fixing it until I need it, and then I don't want to sidetrack the current project to do the fix. Sadly, I think I'm too old to change my bad habits :rolleyes:

Ted

RandyM

Lead Man (Mod)
Staff member
Nice job Mike. I had the same situation with my collet blocks as well (can't figure out why they sell those sets without a spanner wrench), but I was lazier than you. It took me about 5 years of wrestling with them before I finally got off my butt and made a spanner wrench. It seems that when I have a tool or piece of equipment that needs some attention, I never think about fixing it until I need it, and then I don't want to sidetrack the current project to do the fix. Sadly, I think I'm too old to change my bad habits :rolleyes:

Ted
Ted, we are never too old, you just have to "want to change". But, I too am afflicted with your disease (laziness) at times. :encourage:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Ted
Thank you very much Ted.
i think the spanner should be included.
they can punch them out pretty cheap i'd have to imagine- heck i would have paid the extra$$ to get it in the package :grin big:
it is quite normal for me to have to do 2 things, in order to accomplish 1 thing.
i have found that you never really get used to problems , but it helps to accept them :black eye:

You mean I have been doing it all wrong all this time? I have been using my teeth to wrench on that nut.
Hi Dave,
well at least your teeth won't mar the spanner nut, like a pair of channel locks or vise grips would
unless you have carbide chompers! :grin big:

chips&more

Active User
Thank you very much Ted.
i think the spanner should be included.
they can punch them out pretty cheap i'd have to imagine- heck i would have paid the extra$$ to get it in the package :grin big:
it is quite normal for me to have to do 2 things, in order to accomplish 1 thing.
i have found that you never really get used to problems , but it helps to accept them :black eye:

Hi Dave,
well at least your teeth won't mar the spanner nut, like a pair of channel locks or vise grips would
unless you have carbide chompers! :grin big:
Quiz question, and no fair if you use Google. Who was the guy in one of the James Bond movies with steel teeth?

kvt

Active User
Nice job, till you said something I never paid attention to the fact that most of the set I have seen do not have the spanner with them. Again nice job.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Nice job, till you said something I never paid attention to the fact that most of the set I have seen do not have the spanner with them. Again nice job.
Thank you very much Ken.
i agree, it's kinda like getting a car without a spare tire :fatigue:

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Thank you very much Ken.
i agree, it's kinda like getting a car without a spare tire :fatigue:
It's kind of like getting a car without the ignition key, a non starter. You can tear up the knurled nut with a water pump pliers, kind of like hot wiring a car...
When I got mine I used the shank end of a drill bit that fit the hole until I got a pin spanner wrench that fit, it was a bit painful and awkward but it worked. :eek 2:

Ken from ontario

REally nice work Doc, they look well made and of course nothing beats the satisfaction of making something that's so well designed and solidly built.
It bugged me a bit when I found my ER 32 collets, (and chuck) did not come with the proper wrench, there's no way you can tighten /loosen the nut without damaging it, I did buy the wrench separately but after seeing yours I think I should have made one,still might.

Last edited:

kvt

Active User
i agree, it's kinda like getting a car without a spare tire
Yea, the last couple of cars we purchased did not have spares, I was like what the over, They have now done that to save weight.
And a way to charge you more to order one. Also does not have lug wrench etc Just a lttle air compressor that I felt would not air up a ball.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
REally nice work Doc, they look well made and of course nothing beats the satisfaction of making something that's so well designed and solidly built.
It bugged me a bit when I found my ER 32 collets, (and chuck) did not come with the proper wrench, there's no way you can tighten /loosen the nut without damaging it, I did buy the wrench separately but after seeing your I think I should have made one,still might.
Thank you Ken for your kind words.
i'd like to see what you come up with for the ER32 nut!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Yea, the last couple of cars we purchased did not have spares, I was like what the over, They have now done that to save weight.
And a way to charge you more to order one. Also does not have lug wrench etc Just a lttle air compressor that I felt would not air up a ball.
Why would a car come without a spare???
i can understand cutting some corners, but that's ridiculous :blue:

wlburton

I made a spanner wrench for my collet block set a little differently, sawing it out of a piece of aluminum and installing a hardened pin. An unexpected bonus was that it fit perfectly on the spindle nose of a Barker mill that I am fixing up (to aid in tightening the drawbar).

Bill

spanner wrench.jpg

Billh51

Nice work on the spanner wrench Doc. I have the same set of collet blocks, minus the wrench also. I have been using a spanner made for a drill chuck, which is a close fit but not quite right. I have looked at some spanner wrenches at various places but they get pretty good money for them. I think I will borrow your idea and make my own and have the satisfaction of doing it myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
I made a spanner wrench for my collet block set a little differently, sawing it out of a piece of aluminum and installing a hardened pin. An unexpected bonus was that it fit perfectly on the spindle nose of a Barker mill that I am fixing up (to aid in tightening the drawbar).
Bill
Very nice work Bill. thanks for sharing!
my first thought was to make a one piece handle.
when i was looking through my materials i found the 2-1/2" 1018 slug and changed my approach
Nice work on the spanner wrench Doc. I have the same set of collet blocks, minus the wrench also. I have been using a spanner made for a drill chuck, which is a close fit but not quite right. I have looked at some spanner wrenches at various places but they get pretty good money for them. I think I will borrow your idea and make my own and have the satisfaction of doing it myself. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hi BillH,
please borrow the idea and improve upon it!
i would love to see your take!
Hey Mike, I just noticed something else about your project........you're using the same version of CAD as I am :chunky:
Ted
Yes sir, Ted i'm still using stoneage-cad 0.5 :grin big:
i find that a pencil/pen and a piece of paper doesn't require an update every time i try to log on, and they don't seem to be affected by hackers.
the thing i like best about stoneage-cad 0.5, is that my work will never be lost because i hit the wrong button :bang head:

Bob Korves

I like the instantly accessible "scribble editing" possibilities. It does not need to be pretty unless you are selling someone else on the design or working in a shop with multiple departments. Multiple departments does not include a nagging spouse...

Container Above bottom breadcrumb