Coating For Mild Steel

cncastle

Registered
Registered
I'm new to all this. One of my first projects is going to be making some spacers on my mill. They'll be about a half inch thick with a couple holes drilled through. In the end they'll be on a table in my garage and will see whatever humidity is there. I'd like to get them coated with some sort of coating that will protect from corrosion, add negligible thickness, and whatever thickness it does add should be uniform. I don't mind sending them off for the coating. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Guv
I haven't selected the exact material yet but probably something like 1018

Reactions: Guv
Down here in oilfield country, we use and have many different coatings available to us for corrosion protection.
If you have access to stainless steel supply, select a 300 series stainless steel and make the spacers from this material.
I went back are reread what you are doing, It might be good enough to make the spacers out of steel and have them phosphate coated till they are black in color. As long as they stay oiled you shouldn't have any issues with corrosion. You are going to have a bigger problem keeping things on your mill from turning into a rust bucket than a couple of spacers. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of depends on how much trouble and expense you want to go to. You can get some black oxide type coatings from many of the gun suppliers, like Brownelle's, or even a cold blue. I'd agree heartily with Ken though, if you can get some 303 or something like it, you'd never have to worry about them. And 303 machines about as easy as anything.

Sorry, not enough info. I’m guessing a bench mill size? I think plastic, like Delrin, would even work...Dave

Phosphate is a good solution, and one that can be done in the home shop easily and cheaply. It's a good coating, and a great surface prep for painting, as long as you don't oil it.

Back