CNC in the garage?

Another 2 cents worth....
Buy something and start making chips. A while back, (9 months?) I think you were asking about mills to buy. Still no mill? You don't want to be asking those same questions 9 months from now.

If you are aggressive your 6 month machining course may get you in the door. Is an employer going to turn you loose on his multi hundred thousand dollar CNC? Probably not until you prove to them you are half way competent and at least won't crash the machine.

I read your budget and I think you should at least double it and add a lathe to the mix. You don't necessarily want to tell a future employer you only have experience on a mill and can't answer his questions about lathe work

Forget the nic nac stuff. Make something that will potentially impress a employer.
Simple to complex turning cubes come to mind.
How about a running model steam engine or locomotive?
Something you can carry around in a shoe box.
How about a chess set? Although that's generally lathe territory.
Go find a wooden model kit of something and make it out of brass, stainless, aluminum and steel.

Take whatever you make (your best couple of pieces) along with a loose leaf binder of the code you used to make each part to your interview.

Where you interview will influence how you present ourself. Production, job shop, small runs, big runs, fix anything that comes in the door?
What are your aspirations for the future? Maybe even start out in some small repair shop at a ski lodge.

Good luck.

Hoss site would be a great place for you to hang out and look over ideas. The guy has done some amazing things with the X2 and G0704. The x2's converted and CNC ready do pop up on CraigsList. Same w/ G0704's. http://www.hossmachine.info/cnc_conversion.html

I also found a mill to refurb later on via bidspotter.com as I quickly outgrew my 3:1 machine. Auctions will allow you to afford far more machine dollar for dollar. 3/4th or more of my Shop all came from Bidspotter auctions. Watch and ask Q's here. we can check out machines you are interested in. The rub is that you'll need to bring it all home. Truck and a trailer. Winches and come-alongs. We all started like you and found out a 2 Ton lathe fits really well in the Garage alongside your full size CNC 1 or 1.5 ton milling machine. Just make sure the Wifes car gets the open spot and your ride gets snowed on!

Back