CNC help needed.

Sigh,

Bob Cad does not support swiss......contacted them

Nick

Nick

If you've never ran a CNC machine before they can be a little daunting. Do you have a VoTech nearby that offers a class or 3 on CNC? I know you said you have a full plate, but I do believe you'll be making chips sooner with a class under your belt.

I learned how to run a CNC Plasma cutter from written instruction, manufacturer's help line, and having known how to use various CAD programs from going to school. I'm still learning.

Regards,

Dan

Dan,
Yes we do have one about an hr. from here and I have contacted them and waiting for them to get back to me with information.

BTW. Machine is now in place it came on a truck this morning, passed inspection on the 3 phase, meeting with the power company with a check for the drop Thursday. I will start the wiring and conduit tomorrow to the load center. Prepping the area, getting ground rods through the cement and all of the details done. Set and wire the new air compressor.

Sigh, a mothers work is never done. LOL

Nick

MECSoft and Sprutcam both have turning packages. Remember, you can always buy the CAD and CAM separately, though in theory at least, if they are integrated it is easier. Both of these are considered "low end" packages. But if you are not trying to run a job shop, they may be just fine.

Ok, let's back up a bit - What came with your machine? Hopefully, manuals for the controller and the machine. Also, where did you buy it? From a dealer or from a company that was running it? Just thinking that you might be able to ask the previous owner what they were using to program it. Also, have you tried contacting Hardinge Customer Service? Maybe they can tell you what they originally recommended or supplied, or maybe they can even provide a post processor for one of the program suppliers like Mastercam or BobCAD. It looks like these machines were built for a short time in the mid 90's. What is the difference between a Swiss machine and a regular lathe (function or operation wise). As a rule, to program a lathe, you would generate a profile that is like sawing the part down the center line and tracing one half onto the screen (greatly simplified). What will a Swiss machine do that a lathe won't? Just trying to figure out if there is any real difference in the programming.

Dan (in Kansas)

Dan,
The machine was operational in FL and under power. I bought it through a broker. It has a lot of manuals with it. It is going to take some time to go through them. For my own use, I am going to have to get some larger collets. It came with ALOT of collets, all being on the too small size for me. The largest was .250.

My application for this machine is a pretty wild bullet design. It needs to be done on a machine that can also use a jeweler saw. The controller is a 0T Fanuc, but the manuals are claiming an 18T. So I am not sure yet what I have. It looks like the unit can be programmed to either work the main spindle by itself or have the sub spindle doing work at the same time.

I need to get coolant for turning copper, brass and stainless. I am hoping that one coolant will work for all 3. It may sound silly, but I am at the bottom of the learning of the curve in all aspects. LOL Also a good place to find said coolant. I am going to need 20 gallons. 15 in and 5 in reserve.

Sigh, next sill question, not knowing what I am looking for, I know I will need a tool to set all of the gang tooling as well as the other tooling so that they are the same.

LOL Anyone wanting to see a scenic rustic Amish community in Holmes County Ohio? Bring the wife or girl friend, turn them loose in the shops. Lunch is on me! <grin>

Nick

okay, time for a few pics! :thumbsup: I want to see what you've got!

What are you going to produce, if you don't mind me asking.

9MM flower.jpg

This is a` 9MM 110 grn all copper bullet shot into water. The total spread of the flower is 1 3/16" a .45 ACP will open to 1.32"
Those pictures were made from a flatbed scanner. So they are actual size of the expended projectile.

Nick

9MM flower.jpg

I have been working in the shop getting things ready to go. 200 amp 3 phase disconnect and meter, 3" conduit ran on the ceiling to the back bay to the load center, wired into the load center. awaiting American Electric and Power to do the drop.

I will be setting the compressor and running power to it and the CNC Swiss tomorrow. The Bar feed will draw power from the Swiss. Signing up for an online class with a group out of Cleveland.

Meeting with BATF for the final clearance for the licensing for making the copper projectiles. Getting salesmen stopping to try to sell me tooling and coolant. I figure I will be in a power up mode in about 10 Days. Already looking around for the next CNC Swiss and bar feed. I think I am going to get slammed for demand for this new hobby venture. If I am not careful it will become a full time job instead of seeing what I can do.

Nick

Back