CNC help needed.

Registered
Registered
Folks,
I have a Hardinge ST16 Swiss screw inbound at the moment. I have zero experience with any cnc programming or machines. I am the old Logan lathe guy. Where what and how would you suggest getting started? I have a project I want to dedicate the machine to. I am located in Ohio and willing to get help. LOL email and number as follows. nickmull@yahoo.com 330-390-0021 cell.

Thanks Nick

Nick,

A lot depends on your available electronics and mechanical skills to convert a machine. First you must make some very important decisions such as Metric or Inch ball screws, Servo or stepper motors comes next. Then closely followed by a number of operations to replace a bunch of components that will not allow you to keep your tolerances in range. So if you would like to describe to us you vatrous abilities regarding what you can do we will be glad to help you either do it yourself or find a mentor who can assist you in the actual physical work. The majority of changing a machine over to CNC is very simple bolt on types of operations that require minmal tools and skils to do. The few fine points come when you are adding the DRO section and maintaining your tolerance. If I were you I would defiately look into a package type of kit if that is possible because then you will not be trying to coordinate language while managing position or vice versa. There are a number of very knowledgeable folks here about who will be more than glad to help you out and keep you pointed in the right direction, so give the two questions I asked a bit of thought and see what you decide and we can go from their!!!! Good luck and get ready for some real fun while you do these mads.

Bob

I can't find much info on that machine, so not sure if it was a factory CNC machine, or if it is a manual machine you plan on converting. RBeckett brings up some good points, and knowing more information about the machine, your capabilities, and your expectations can help us guide you. You may want to peruse this thread to get started if you have not done so already

[thread]8753[/thread]

It is the "Basic CNC" thread. Lots of good information there, mostly about mechanics, and motors. Though it went into machine controls and CAM software.

If it were me, I would do some initial checking and cleanup. Make sure the axes move smoothly, check bearings and screws for wear (mount a DTI to the spindle, put the tip against something clamped to the cross slide, and push on the cross slide). After that, familiarize yourself with the machanical and electrical systems on the machine. If it was a factory original CNC machine, the controllers are often clapped out our outdated (which is why people often get deals on them). If that is the case, you will probably want to think about replacing the motor controllers and CNC control. That's probably the worst case scenario (well, broken mechanical components could be worse). Once you get the machine, see what you have and let us know, we'll be able to provide more pertinent information then.

My take on the OPs post is the machine is a CNC machine and wants to learn how to run it.

Dan,

It is a Hardinge Conquest ST16 Swiss. It has a Fanuc 0T controller. It has 1960 hrs. on the analog hr. meter. It was rebuilt in 2008, Ball screws, guides, motors. It came out of a medical equipment manufacturing facility and is currently inbound on a truck and should be here tomorrow.

I have no experience in CNC at all. But I can learn, I just need some help on where to how to go about either getting a hand or taking online course since the closest CNC school is about 90 miles away.

I am hoping the inspector will be here this morning to approve the 3 phase drop I did on my building so that AEP can set the new pole and 3 phase transformers.

As for tooling I have a no issues with purchasing what is needed with spares. I figure with the carbide jeweler saw to drop $1,500 on tooling if need be that can be bumped.

The bar feed I picked up is an Omni Bar FSQ20 hydro. I figure with the items I am wanting to run on the unit a bar will last about 2-2 1/1 hrs.

I need recommendations on a cad/cam program type of program to get ideas in my head onto/into a G code to make my concept into reality instead of an idea.

My biggest problem is that at age 58, my cup is full, and I am going to have to figure out what to pour out to make room for new knowledge! LOL Old dog and new tricks concept I think!

Nick

You might look at BobCAD CAM. It is very well supported by training videos and they will do both on-line and face-to-face training. From your description, I take it that this is a CNC Lathe, so you would be looking a BobCAD Lathe. If you buy 1 year mainteneance from them, they also will write up to 2 post processors for your machine, if they don't already have one that works. It may not be the best or the easiest to learn, but at least they do offer training. Just one possible option for you.

Dan (another Dan)

You might look at BobCAD CAM. It is very well supported by training videos and they will do both on-line and face-to-face training. From your description, I take it that this is a CNC Lathe, so you would be looking a BobCAD Lathe. If you buy 1 year mainteneance from them, they also will write up to 2 post processors for your machine, if they don't already have one that works. It may not be the best or the easiest to learn, but at least they do offer training. Just one possible option for you.

Dan (another Dan)

Couldn't have written it better myself! :rofl:

Not much experience with BobCAD/CAM, but make sure that whatever software you get has CAM software intended for lathe use, as CAM software for a lathe is significantly different that that for a mill. Most software manufacturers offer a free trial (usually time limited to 30 days). I would recommend trying out a few to see how you like them. A few of the entry packages are DolphinCAM, BobCAD, and Alibre.

BobCad is probably a good one to start with. I got V25 about 3 months ago. I haven't had time to learn to use it yet, but I'm getting closer.

Right now, I use GibbsCam. I had it when I owned a real cnc shop and when I sold the company, the new owner didn't want it, so I brought it home with me.

Sigh,

Bob Cad does not support swiss......contacted them

Nick

Back