[CNC] CNC from sketch to part the way I do it

this is the 5th video and it is quite a different type of cad drawing technique for copying or modeling a sketch you may have scanned or a photo to produce a scaled part. youtube is playing with the sound sync in this one but hopefully you can still follow along.
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;7Lv833rqWf8]

I did this recording on my windows 7 64 bit pc and it was really messing with these programs, you can see it when I try to select objects

Last edited:
Great stuff, Steve! I really like it and appreciate it. For the last couple days, I haven't been able to watch these and I'm just getting to them today. Great stuff...

Ray

Good stuff Steve.
A couple quick suggestions:
1) Could you or someone else make a copy of this thread condensing it down to the info parts and make a "Sticky" out of it ??? That would keep it at the top and easy to find.
2) If a sticky can be made, add a link to the original thread to make it easy to find where anyone could get quick access to the remarks and comments.

I hope you have the time and energy to keep it going (I know how taxing grandkids can be !!! LOL).
One thing I would like to see would be "How to make a radius on just one corner of a square and how to adjust it. For an example, I'm trying to draw a receiver for an air rifle. Since a receiver is basically a box with one of the corners having a radius. Making it more difficult, the radius isn't even/ equidistant in relation to the top and side and in some instances, not a smooth arc, but changes in an increasing arc.
I'm not sure if something like this is do-able with emachineshop program or not. I've tried many different ways, but can't seem to get it to work.
I learned a couple things from the videos you've posted so far and will be trying again.
thanks again.

One thing I would like to see would be "How to make a radius on just one corner of a square and how to adjust it. For an example, I'm trying to draw a receiver for an air rifle. Since a receiver is basically a box with one of the corners having a radius. Making it more difficult, the radius isn't even/ equidistant in relation to the top and side and in some instances, not a smooth arc, but changes in an increasing arc.
I'm not sure if something like this is do-able with emachineshop program or not. I've tried many different ways, but can't seem to get it to work.
hello mr. pigg
I'd like to try your request. can you sketch what you are looking for freehand with dimensions, scan it and upload to this thread?
it is doable who ever made the original part made a drawing first I'm sure, the challenge is determining how. take a straight on photo of the part and give me 1 exact measurement and I can produce a drawing the way I did in video 5.
I need to find out how to do a sticky, I'll ask Bill Gruby he's done it.
thanks for viewing
steve

Enjoying and learning from your methods and shortcuts.

Thank you !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hello mr. pigg
I'd like to try your request. can you sketch what you are looking for freehand with dimensions, scan it and upload to this thread?
it is doable who ever made the original part made a drawing first I'm sure, the challenge is determining how. take a straight on photo of the part and give me 1 exact measurement and I can produce a drawing the way I did in video 5.
I need to find out how to do a sticky, I'll ask Bill Gruby he's done it.
thanks for viewing
steve

Thanks again Steve & Bill or who ever was the one to make the sticky.
I wish I could do a drawing, but a stick person is about the extent of my artistic ability. That is one of the reasons I've been trying to find a way to learn CAD. I'm much better with a computer than a pencil.
I can't really do a picture either beyond telling you to Google a picture of about any shotgun and look at the arc of the receiver top where it rolls down to attach to the butt stock.
My problem is the inability to make a curved line the intersects with two straight line that are 90 degrees apart in orientation (one in the horizontal & one in the verticle).
Basically, I have an idea in my head and want to draw it up to see if I can make it work. Ideally, I could make CAD drawings of all the parts and then try and combine them to see if it all fits & works together. Wether that is possible to do with a program like emachine shop.com or would require some other software is what I initially started this thread "http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/19440-Online-CAD-CAM-course-info" which, thanks to Marcel (Xalky), led me to your thread here.

Looking forward to any more video posts from you or anyone else who decides to post here.

this video shows using a few features of emachineshop including the 3d part of the program.
Jpigg at the end of this video i did a drawing to see I can can try to figure out what you are wanting to draw.
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;lhN6BfOWrfY]

sample 3d image.jpg

Last edited:
This is an example of what can be done with viewing a photograph through emachineshop (and a medical cell measuring program) in trace mode, knowing a few true measurements and scaling the drawings to the needed dimensions. this was my first cnc project and I got into cnc and converted my machines so I could do it. it's a bit long and jumps around because I didn't know how to use the slideshow software. the second video is the model running.
This is the Yulee sugar mill in Crystal river florida. I snuck in the fence and measured a few key points and used photos of the missing parts from steam engines from the same time in other sugar mills.
often here I see questions about making gears so my next video will be about how I made these gears and the involute gear cutters to the correct scale and number of teeth using emachineshop. the gears on my model have the same number of teeth as the original mill and are in scale. I also want to do a video on how I copied a small engine rocker arm support, the drawings required for each cam process and I included pics of it below.
hopefully I can stir up more interest and participation in this thread
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;3Q6PffnVyOI]

[video=youtube;Y0lB-rBMll8]

55.jpg 66.jpg 77.jpg

Last edited:
this is the gear making video
at the end I try to show how to use a mach3 wizard and didnt notice it had switched back from gear to spline mode, also the display in mach3 was not set to show the 4th axis. sorry i dont use win 7 on my machines this mach3 is for running code to test and not set up like my mill... another mistake to add to my education.
so the mach part is just entertaining nothing more lol
in the section where the involute gear cutter profile is displayed I forgot to mention you can set your printer to print at scale then use the actual scale drawing to hand grind a cutter and compare to the print.
what a day this was, I started tring to make this vid at 11am and with computer crashes and going completely down, the buying software to work in windows7 I finished this on video at 12:30pm after 5 takes total today.... I stuck with it.
things will go smother now that i bought software that works well recording these.
thank you for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;GP6YpIG1Kmg]

DIGI0096.JPG DSCF0185.JPG gear cutters.JPG Ring gear 100t.JPG

Last edited:
Back