[CNC] CNC from sketch to part the way I do it

I have made some progress, i have hypercam and the mic working now and here is another video on emachineshop setup. it would have been longer but my grandson came in to help with the vocals on the audio trac lol
a few things to mention about emachine shop is it wants to update its pricing from time to time, thats all it is doing it adds nothing else to your pc in the way of cookies or anything so let it do it so you dont see the popup. if you install it on a pc that is not on the internet and then bring a file you have saved from the internet pc in it will not open it untill you also copy the c:\program files\emachineshop directory to the offline pc. it is looking for the updated pricing files so it can give you an estimated cost of ordering the part from them.
it may seem confusing but i'll show you how to do it
in the lower rt corner of the video you can switch to full screen, press your esc button to return to the normal hobby machinist screen
thanks for your interest
steve
[video=youtube;NTbOOSPuuJM]

Last edited:
Thats a pretty slick trick to use the inside square to locate the bolt holes. I cant hear the second vid so I will wait till this heater aint singing in my ear to watch. I down loaded the emachine and started playing with it. You sure make it look easy.

Thanks for the series bro

Ok, the video was superb in this one. I think we need to bump up the audio portion. It sounds like your recording in stereo but the your only recording sound to one channel. For these videos, mono would be fine.

I have surround sound on my office computer and i was only getting faint audio out of the right front channel. I could hear it if i turn the volume way up.

When i played in a band , I used to be the guy that did the audio recordings with a Zoom stereo recorder. It was a lot of work just to get the sound right. So, i do have a clue about the challenges your working thru . :thinking:

Last edited:
ok I hope this one is better I turned up the mic.
In this vid I draw the parts to mount the motor to convert the x axis of a zx45 to cnc
these measurement's are fake, I just made them up. have you tried to show someone something and everything goes wrong.... well in the video I have a few problems but resolve them so in a sense it is good to see how to recover from problems. below the video is a pic of a mount something like I'm drawing. I stutter, stumble, lisp and screw it up but in the end I get it done.
this mic must be bad it only records one channel
thanks for viewing
steve

[video=youtube;DzmpeNnHsPA]

DSCF0994.JPG DSCF0995.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for doing this. I am severely CAD challenged. This should help move me along in the right direction. Or any direction...

Here is another video, this one goes into the d2nc cam software and then to mach3 with the drawings I have made in the previous video.
If anyone has anything to add, comment on, or critique please do. I'm not an instructor on any of these software's but that is probably why no one is doing this. they think they have to be. I make mistakes and find corrections... I hope this helps get someone else started.
If i'm learning by my mistakes I have to be a genius by now... lol
I get the impression from what I read that quite a few people think they need complete training on their cad, cam and operating software from a college or online course to do this and my point is for me it is easier to learn as I go.
A quote from Einstein I like is something like this " don't waste space in your brain memorizing anything you can look up "
If you have any ideas what to go into next, let me know, if there is none I guess I'm done for now.
thanks for watching
steve

[video=youtube;VXizFzP6rAw]

note: sitting in a quiet room and talking to yourself for an hour is a weird feeling, try making a video.

Last edited:
Steve

Nicely done!

What I learned from your video. (I have a 2 year degree in CAD (and still learning) FYI) I draw for a CNC plasma cutter.

The nudge command is adjustable. (I hadn't see the increment amount in the upper right and didn't know how far it was moving. Until I learned this, it was a worthless command.)

I like your using squares and rectangles to locate holes.

I hadn't seen the the degree box for a line.

Using a line to measure with! I searched all over for a measure tool! I think I even tried using HELP! GASP! :rofl:

I know there were a couple more things I picked up that I'm not recalling at the moment.

I installed HyperCam and emachine. I might make a vid or 3..... Time will tell.

Suggestions. (I know there are a million ways to draw and use a program....)

When selecting a command, keep an eye on what follows the command in the list for shortcuts.

Some examples are:

Copy= Ctrl c
Paste= Ctrl v
Cut = Ctrl x
Select all = Ctrl a
Group = Ctrl g
Duplicate = Ctrl d <-- you used

Also on the HyperCam, there are Function keys or F-keys. You can use these so you don't have to bring the program to the front to control it.

There is a free computer helping program out there called TeamViewer. It allows others to watch what someone is doing live on their computer or take over and do work on someone elses computer. Say someone is stuck on a drawing. Arrange a time with someone else and together work out the problem.

I'd give you three thumbs up if I had that many. So, it's a two thumbs up! :LOL:

Keep them coming! We'll learn together!

thank you so much Dan for your kind words and encouragement.
having someone who is schooled in cad would make this thread an asset to this site and its members and I hope you can find time to help me. heaven knows I could use it lol
when I'm drawing it isn't to make a set of prints it is to make the cam software easier to use so that's why I will draw the part and then copy and break it down into segments and machine functions. I have drawn all the parts to cnc convert my zx45 mill but for someone else to use them its very difficult to understand . they cant possibly know what I was thinking and what the extra lines and boxes on the page are. most of the time I never draw the part itself I draw the lines I need to machine the part. having someone who can organize things would be more that a small addition here.
I have a hand held remote for my machine but I don't use it for anything except locating positions and zeroing to the material. I have tried to use it to do small operations and I hate standing there holding the button. it is faster and more accurate for me to draw a line box circle or what I need to do. even simple things like face milling, squaring a block, drilling a hole pattern. when I draw the movement instead of typing it into the mach3 mdi window I get to see it before the machine moves. once you have typed in a code wrong in the mdi screen and hit start all you can do is hope you can get it to stop before destroying your material.
thanks again
steve

Last edited:
Back