CNC decision paralysis - Probably Tormach

By software, do you mean CAD/CAM software? If so, then this deal just went from great to ridiculous. If you are just missing the controller software (Mach3), then you can pick up a new copy for not that much (website lists it at $175).

Congratulations on the new machine, Eric! Sounds like you got a great deal.

Darkon sells a low profile ER collet holder also, they are about 1/2 inch shorter than the standard TTS holder but are not compatible with the ATC. I have been thinking of buying some to increase rigidity. I always wondered why Tormach didn’t make shorter holders.

Is the software SprutCAM? There are plenty of training videos available for SprutCAM 7 and SprutCAM 8 on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLT_5eFKgZzFrfOBxVuUIg

Kevin

Yes, the unit came with Mach3 and also SprutCAM 8. However, the cd/dvd disks were not present for either. Mach3 is already installed on the machine controller (computer) and I have the License/dongle for SprutCAM. I've already spoken with Tormach on getting a copy of SprutCAM 8, for my Laptop. So, $30 for the replacement Mach3 disk, $0 for the SprutCAM set-up. A very minimal inconvenience on the Software end. Tormach has been really helpful in getting the ownership transferred and the software straightened out.

As for the ER holders, the Darkon ones that I have are a shade longer than the Tormach units. I did notice the shorter units, but wasn't aware that they weren't compatible with the ATC. But I'm not really interested in that feature anyway. Here's a comparison photo:

DSCN6508-M.jpg

Upon an actual count, it looks like I'm about 50-50, Darkon & Tormach ER-20's, and also a couple Darkon ER-32 units (plus a bunch of other misc holders and drill chucks). I'm pretty happy with the purchase so far, though I haven't powered it up, since making the trip home. Should be there in a couple days. Man, I'm excited...

Congratulations Eric. I would say you got a screaming deal.

Last edited:
Back